Search

Globus tour of Egypt

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26th, 2000, 06:41 AM
Bill & JoAnn

Globus tour of Egypt

Has anyone taken a tour to Egypt with Globus <BR>tours. How was it. Did you go to Alexandria on your tour. Would you recommend going to Abu Simbel as a side trip. Any information <BR>you can give us would be greatly appreciated. <BR>Thanks!

Old Feb 26th, 2000, 02:51 PM
Perry & Karen

Yes, we used Globus last April (1999) for Egypt and it was EXCELLENT!!! The tour title was "Grand Tour of Egypt". It included Alexandria, which was well worth seeing. We would very highly recommend Abu Simbel. Even though it was optional on the tour, we didn't consider it optional for us. Our tour guide was Hebba, a Egyptian who had attended Cairo University for four years to become a tour guide. Highly knowledgeable. In summary, Globus did a great job for a reasonable price. We felt we saw all the best sites and a first class manner. The Nile Cruise was luxious. Feel free to contact us directly thru e-mail <BR>[email protected] <BR>

Old Feb 26th, 2000, 07:02 PM
phil

I took the Globus trip to Egypt in 9/95. It was without question my favorite trip. The hotels were stunning in Cairo we stayed at the Mena House overlooking the Pyramids. The Nile cruise was amazing and definately go to Abu Simbel. <BR>One of the highlights of the trip was taking a horse drawn carriage in Aswan through the bazaar section at night, highly recommended. <BR>Also would recommend the lasar light showin Karnak and the Temple of Philae. <BR>I'm sure you'll enjoy it! <BR> <BR>Phil

Old Mar 5th, 2000, 12:29 PM
Jennifer

I have been on three Globus trips before(two to Europe and one to South America). I really like the tour company. You get good value for a reasonable price. I am scheduled to go to Egypt with Globus in May. I am taking the Grand Tour of Egypt. I am very confident that any tour with Globus will be great. But I am wondering if anyone who has been on the Globus Grand Tour of Egypt has any advice. You know what I mean. The kind of things that you wish you would have known before you left or the things you have learned the hard way. I would really appreciate any insights you have. Thank you in advance.

Old Mar 6th, 2000, 09:45 PM
Connie

We went to Egypt last July with Gate1 and had a great time. My advise would be to carry a water bottle with you at all times while touring and wear a hat to ward off the sun. Due to the troubles of a few years ago, tour vans must park a long walk away from the sites and a long walk in the sun in that low humidity requires a great deal of water. Also, the Eqyptians seem to build everything at the top of a hill! <BR>The best thing I took to Egypt was a hand held battery operated fan and water bottle combination. I could use the fan or I could spritze with water while using the fan which was very cooling. (Didn't do much for the hair or the makeup but all the makeup melts off in the first half hour anyway). I could have sold my fan at least 40 times, all the kids peddling stuff offered me an amazing number of T-shirts or perfume bottles for it. I love it so much I would rather have sold my house than give it up. I bought the fan at Brookstone which is a mall store around the country. <BR> <BR>Have fun, it was a terrific trip for us.

Old Mar 21st, 2000, 06:01 PM
kathy

We took a Globus tour of Egypt last March. First tour - we usually do our own planning - but it made sense to have an organized trip first time to Egypt. Sami was our guide - we saw a lot , he was knowledgable and really facilitated the trip. <BR> <BR>I would skip the trip to Alexandria. It is three hours one way by bus. Alexandria deserves more time - a good excuse to go back. We skipped the trip and went into Cairo on our own. We went to the tentmakers bazaazr, a mosque, saw mother of pearl boxes being made, wool being dyed and had a great time.

Old Mar 31st, 2000, 08:51 PM
Alice

Don't go anywhere in Egypt without a water bottle hanging from your shoulder. I took a tour with Traflagar this past New Years. My first taste of an organized tour and it was great except for the video I bought of the trip that ended up being blank!! (Since, I have discovered several others on my trip with blank cassettes.) I took a train to Alexandria on my own before joining up with the tour and I was REALLY disappointed. It looked just like Cairo. A bustling, noisy city. The catacombs were wonderful, though. I just had pictured a more relaxed, ancient atmosphere and that is not the Alexandria of today. A word about Abu Simbel. DONTMISSIT. Trafalgar Tours which is really Spring Tours in Egypt (they must subcontract out - the only indication that I had that this was a Trafalgar Tour was the clip board with the Tralfalgar logo our tour guide held over his head to get out attention.), offered the four Ramses as a side tour at a cost of US$270. I had done my homework before going and knew I could fly round trip from Aswan for $85. I booked my flight with Egypt Air a couple of days after getting to Cairo (their office is across from the Egyptian Museum). There were some pretty uphappy people on our tour after they found out what I had paid. Didn't mean to get so carried away. Hope these tidbits help out. Feel free to contact me. Happy Travels!! <BR>