Giraffes

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23rd, 2008, 03:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Giraffes

We'll be touring independently from Cape Town to Addo and back in November, first trip to SA. We already have reserved accommodation in Addo for 2 nights and are looking forward to viewing the wildlife. It's my understanding that there are no giraffes in the Addo (wrong part of the country/), and my other half is a bit disappointed. Is there anywhere within 1 day's drive of the southern coast where we could see some giraffes (apart from the zoo I guess!) ?
Old Oct 8th, 2008, 04:14 PM

Kwandwe. Located outside Grahamstown. A bit pricey as it is part of CC Africa, but is home to giraffes as well as the big 5.
Old Oct 9th, 2008, 03:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the Kwandwe suggestion. We looked into private game reserves such as these and frankly the prices are astronomical! Are there really that many people who can splash out GBP300-500 pppn? I do wonder how these places will continue to survive without the custom from merchant bankers with their ill-gotten annual bonuses.

In the end we found Buffelsdrift Game Lodge near Oudtshoorn which has (some) giraffes, as well as elephants, rhino and Cape buffalo, together with much more reasonable rates, so problem solved.
Old Oct 9th, 2008, 10:39 AM

I understand your concern about Kwandwe... it is expensive, but worth it.

That said, if you can book thru a South African travel agent, you can probably do it for $500 per couple per night (instead of per person). They'll allow you to book the trip in Rand and I've seen 4 night packages for as low as $10,000 Rand per person.
Old Oct 9th, 2008, 02:23 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi gordon,

sorry if this is too late for you to be of any use [only just spotted this thread, sorry].

right next to Addo is Schotia where they have loads of giraffes. we stayed for one night there before we did addo by day and loved staying in their roundel-type cottages. they do day/evening tours as well.

shamwari also has giraffes [further up the same road [A2?]] but is also vvv pricey. [we only stayed there cos we got 3 free nights at Radisson in CPT thrown in!].

hope you have a great trip.

regards, ann

PS -hi again astein - I'm still stalking you, it seems.