Search

Ginger anyone?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22nd, 2007, 11:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ginger anyone?

Found lots of information about using ginger to help prevent motion sickness(caused by bumpy roads, short flights with lots of thermals, etc.). Has anyone tried it and did it work for you? (I was underwhelmed by the wrist band approach). Where can you can buy individually wrapped ginger chewy things?
Old Sep 22nd, 2007, 01:23 PM

I have not tried it. Bonine (over the counter) works wonders, even when taken after nausea sets in.

Old Sep 22nd, 2007, 09:57 PM

Dont know about motion sickness ..... but, ginger is used a lot is Indian/asian cooking and is considered to hv good anti-inflamatory properties......

Hari
Old Sep 23rd, 2007, 12:04 AM

Yes, we have used it and it did help quite a bit. Some airports around the world do sell the ginger chewy candy. In Africa, we would often ask the camp to cut some up for us right before we left. You can suck on it or keep it under your tongue.
Old Sep 23rd, 2007, 06:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your input. Friends are headed to Loisaba (Kenya); itinerary calls for trekking through the bush on camels. Earliest documented form of motion sickness came from riding camels. That gentle sway effects some more than others. I'll pass on the Bonine, ginger chewy candy and fresh ginger tips to them.

Clematis1, I didn't realize the chews were candy; I have been searching the medicinal aisle at pharmacy.
Old Sep 23rd, 2007, 06:43 AM

As I recall the British navy issues it to sailors and the "Myth Busters" (USA TV program) found it was the only remedy they tested that worked. I was planning to try it but haven't been seasick in years and thought I was over it. A recent snorkeling trip in the Sea of Cortez demonstrated that I was mistaken and I plan to bring ginger along on future outings.
Old Sep 23rd, 2007, 07:01 AM

I always carry some crystallized ginger with me on trips. You can get it at some supermarkets and health food stores. Packs easily in little plastic bags. Very good as a pick-me-up on long rides and an excellent stomach settler.
Old Sep 23rd, 2007, 08:37 AM
Original Poster

Tuckeg,this subject has captured my interest. Found some scuba sites that recommended ginger. Also spotted this quote from an August 2007 NYTimes article.
QUOTE: A study in the journal Lancet involved 36 people highly susceptible to motion sickness. The researchers had the subjects take either two capsules of powdered ginger, an antinausea medication or a placebo, and then, 20 minutes later, spin on a motorized chair for up to six minutes. Taking ginger delayed the onset of sickness about twice as long as taking the medication. The study also found that half the subjects who took ginger lasted the full six minutes, compared with none of those given the placebo or the medication. END QUOTE

Now I'm trying to find the Lancet etnry.
Old Sep 23rd, 2007, 10:54 AM

Yes, that reminded me that in New Zealand, a boating whale watching company sold ginger tablets that you'd take with water. I seem to have found things like this more easily in Britain and New Zealand.

Okay, did a google and found this (I have used these, there is sugar in them though):

http://www.gingerpeople.com/order_chews.html
http://www.doulashop.com/products/mo...ger-chews.html

I see they also use them for morning sickness.
Old Sep 23rd, 2007, 11:26 AM

You can find Ginger Chew candies in many healthfood stores. They were great for morning sickness, too.
It can get quite sticky though in hot climates, so crystalised ginger may be a better idea for your trek. You can find them in Chinatown grocery stores as well. Finely chopped crystalised ginger are great either in apple crumbles (gives a nice kick) or in ice-cream.
Old Sep 23rd, 2007, 04:48 PM

trader joe´s has large bags of imported ginger candies. they are very addictive!
Old Sep 24th, 2007, 05:26 AM

I have had great success with a liquid herbal alixer that gets put behind you ear called motioneaze. It is in a tiny bottle, and is all natural. I found it at Wal-mart, but they sell on line. It worked wonders on long bumpy jeep rides, along with mountainous car rides.

I have gotten motion sick all of my life, and this is the first thing that works without making me sleepy. I think it was invented for boaters, you can look it up on line at www.motioneaze.com. It is not expensive, very small to carry, and can also be used after you feel sick (although it will not be as effective, as if you had used it before you felt bad).
ps: I also bought bonine, but never had to use it, since I used the motioneaze.
Old Sep 24th, 2007, 05:27 AM

I suffer from motion sickness, and have never found any of the over the counter medicines to help in the slightest, nor do wristbands help me. I tried ginger a couple of times and couldn't really tell if it helped. The only thing that truly helps me is the patch behind the ear.

That being said, I was happy to find out that the roads in Africa didn't make me sick at all. Apparently, bumps don't upset my stomach the way that swaying curves and hills do.

And I was simply fortunate that my flights were smooth (although I had actually brought along a wristband, and Bonine, and giner just in case!)
Old Sep 24th, 2007, 07:25 AM

I have never heard of Bonine - where can one get it, and is that what it's called in the US?
Ginger (not sure what form) somewhat helps my sister, who is terribly prone to motion sickness.
Old Sep 24th, 2007, 08:03 AM

Bonine can be find in most US drug stores in the section where Dramamine is sold. Great product - same type of formula as what is dispensed on cruise ships when the seas get rough.
Old Sep 24th, 2007, 08:31 AM

Used to do a lot of salt-water fishing on boats and guys who were susceptible to sea-sickness tried ginger, but it didn't work, at least not for the half-dozen or so people I know who tried it.
Old Sep 24th, 2007, 09:57 AM

After seeing the "Mythbusters" episode that tuckeg referenced, I decided to try ginger tablets. I actually got some capsules at Whole Foods in their aisles of vitamins and other pills. Took 2 capsules every 4-6 hours when we were on a liveaboard boat on the Great Barrier Reef (with tremendous wind and lots of rocking and rolling). Without the ginger I KNOW I would have been miserable when I was indise the cabin and the dining area (from past experience on boats with a lot of motion). I had absolutely NO problems. And the only side effect was a slight taste of ginger if I burped. I plan to try it on my next small plane flight since I almost always feel miserable on those. The flight from the Zimbabwe/Botswana border to Nxbega Safari Camp (about an hour and a half) was torture for me! And as soon as I got to the lodge they offered me gingerale - go figure.
Old Sep 24th, 2007, 05:21 PM
Original Poster

jcasale, I've been trying to find information on recommended dosage and how early one should take ginger prior to flying, sailing, etc. How many mg of ginger are in your capsules? What % gingerol(the active ingredient attributed to effectiveness) are in your tablets? Did you start taking them the day before? Thanks for any information you can share
Old Sep 25th, 2007, 05:49 AM

Hello,

At one of the hospitals I worked at, ginger tea and crystallised ginger were often recommended for morning sickness in pregnant women who didn't want to use the usual antiemetics. No formal trials were done but the success rate was quite high based on patient reports.

If you're in the UK Fortnum and Mason has some delicious crystallised ginger (if you're not into very spicy food, I'd recommend going for the mild version). Many health food stores (like Whole Foods) should also have crystallised ginger as well as ginger tea.

BTW, crystallised ginger is also a great palate cleanser if you're travelling and haven't had the opportunity to brush your teeth in awhile (much better than breath mints IMO...)

Cheers,
Julian
Old Sep 25th, 2007, 11:54 AM

I use ginger for several years in buses, cars, on cruises. I buy a bottle of 100 capsules in Walgreens, or health food stores, or pharamacies.

If it's all day on a bus or a boat, then 2 or 3 a day. If a short plane ride, only 1. Just swallow with water or any liquid.

I wouldn't chew or drink ginger ale as I don't want additional sugar. But if your weight is normal, this may work for you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -