Reload this Page >

What to pack for S. Africa, Botswana & Vic Falls

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 05:40 PM
n

Leaving on 5/11 for 3 days in S. Africa, 3 days in Vic Falls, then 3 days at safari camp in okavango delta in botswana. What should we pack? We can only take 26 lbs. - do we need cold weather stuff, rain stuff, hot weather stuff? Have had several suggestions but getting down to the wire now and going into packing panic!

Old May 1st, 2002, 01:16 AM
kavey

N<BR><BR>Don't panic! (I know I was in same boat before we went).<BR><BR>Firstly, your travel agent if a good one might provide packing list. Sunvil and Wilderness Safaris provided us with a comprehensive list (I have NO idea where it is) along with our other paperwork.<BR><BR>As for temperature, I don't know - we went at end June and found it lovely and warm in daytimes (but not searingly hot) but cool before and after sunrise and sunset.<BR><BR>We took all casual clothes, we didnt need any smart stuff, and we got some of it laundered (not underwear).<BR><BR>Non bright colours, no brilliant white either. <BR><BR>Also things like torch for the camps.

Old May 1st, 2002, 09:30 AM
Louise

We did a trip the same as yours several years ago with Wilderness Safaris. If you go to their website at www.wilderness-safaris.com and then "Our Safaris" then "Pre-Tour Information" and then pick a safari like "Jacana", if you scroll down they will give you information on what to take. Have a great trip!!!

Old May 1st, 2002, 01:34 PM
Kavey

Louise!<BR>DOH!<BR>Why didnt I think of that? (That the list they sent me would be online?)<BR><BR

Old May 1st, 2002, 01:50 PM
Louise

Kavey - it was an afterthought!! I actually have the original list which was sent to us and I started to type everything out. Then I thought this is stupid and looked at the website - just lucky it was there.

Old May 1st, 2002, 02:25 PM
Kavey

<BR>Well it was a GOOD afterthought, so many times I have thought it would be good to be able to share that list, but have lost it...<BR>

Old May 1st, 2002, 03:07 PM
Kavey

Louise<BR>I just visited to check the list out and nearly died laughing when I noticed the recommendation to pack a thong! I know that wasn't on the list I got sent!<BR><BR>Maybe there are two meanings to thong?<BR>Kavey<BR>Roll on 2004

Old May 1st, 2002, 07:06 PM
Rocco

For Victoria Falls, I recommend a good waterproof camera. Not sure how the water levels are in mid-May, but in mid-March, when I was there, even though there was not much rain this year, I still got soaked at Victoria Falls and a raincoat really helped. I didn't dare bring my digital camera, as it would have been ruined.

Old May 2nd, 2002, 07:58 AM
Louise

Kavey - I think they are referring to what we sometimes call "flip-flops" - sandals which slip on in between the big toe and the one next to it. That must have given you a guffaw.

Old May 2nd, 2002, 10:32 AM
Patricia

Actually, the original meaning of "thong" as wearing apparal was the sandal. Only in the past few years has it come to mean underwear. That is called "thong" because it's shaped like the sandals and fits your rear end like the sandal fits your foot.<BR> I just came back from Kenya and S. Africa. We took (in addition to a pair of dockers worn on the plane) 2 pairs of cotton pants, one pair of jeans, 2 long-sleeved man-style button-down-the-front shirts, and 3 short sleeved shirts. Also thongs (shoes) for the shower/pool, bathing suit, lightweight hooded waterproof jacket and regular spring jacket. We had things laundered in Kenya and washed out our underwear (which we took little of) and socks. Put the socks over arms of chairs out on the porch to dry. They did not limit us as to weight. They said they did, but they never weighed our stuff until we got to Johannesburg. Then we had to check it--before that we just carried it on. Mine was 17 kilos (whatever that is) and my friend's was 12 kilos. They passed.<BR><BR>

Old May 2nd, 2002, 01:51 PM
Kavey

Patricia!<BR>Thanks! *BLUSH*<BR>

Old May 5th, 2002, 08:07 PM
DiDi

Hi Louise, <BR><BR>Oh my goodness, imagine my surprise when I stumbled on your posting regarding your trip with Wilderness Safari on the Jacana Tour. My husband and I leave for the identical trip this Friday (May 10th). <BR><BR>I would so greatly appreciate any information, tidbits, clothing needs, (I am so concerned about the weight restrictions). Were they very strict? What was the temperature at night. We live in a hot climate and envisioning cold evenings or temps below 50 degrees is tough at this time of the year. <BR><BR>What was the one item you absolutely wish you had brought & didn't think of (if this occured) ? Did you bring flashlights as they recommend? <BR><BR>Again, we leave this Friday so any information you can impart would be IMMENSELY appreciated. <BR><BR>Thank you. <BR>DiDi

Old May 6th, 2002, 06:47 AM
kavey

Didi<BR>I didn't do the same tour but did travel with Wilderness Safaris in the same small cessnas so I think it's the same restrictions.<BR>Although they didnt weigh our bags, I think that's because we were well within weight allowances, and size of bags.<BR>The luggage compartments in these planes are TINY and pretty flat so flexible bags are better than cases and shouldn't be stuffed to the point they can't be squished about a little to push them in.<BR>One couple we once shared a flight with had a large case which really almost didn't fit and the pilot was on the verge of telling them they couldn't get the flight..<BR>In such tiny planes weight and space really is very limited.<BR>We were lucky in that most of our internal cessna flights we didnt have to share the flight so could spread out a bit more but you can't rely on that unless you book an extra seat for luggage.<BR><BR>We found the packing list supplied by Wilderness pretty good, wish we'd heeded their advice for gloves and scarf, I had to buy some out there!<BR><BR>Have fun, <BR>KaveyQ