Search

Getting to Sharm el Sheikh from UK

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11th, 2019, 01:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getting to Sharm el Sheikh from UK

Hi,

I am trying to figure out best way to get to Sharm el Sheikh for specific week/hotel in April (to meet up with friends). I stopped by travel agent today and they didn't have much to offer - nothing in way of holiday package and nothing much for flights - from London. I may have the option of starting/ending in Italy via charter flight and (all-inclusive) hotel otherwise i have to figure out how to fly there. London/Cairo, then down to Sharm? Istanbul? All of the flights on the return seem to leave Sharm in middle of the night - 3:00AMish. Anyone have ideas or experience? Thanks.
Old Feb 11th, 2019, 02:17 PM

Travel agents are not going to be able to offer you anything to a place where the UK Foreign Office advises against travel to and where direct flights between UK and Sharm el Sheikh are currently suspended. Travel by air to/from Sharm el Sheikh is not advisable although the resort itself is ok. Didn't the travel agent say anything about why they couldn't offer you anything, it's common knowledge, it has been like this since 2015. If you look at the Thomas Cook website for instance, it tells you that there are no package holidays to that destination.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/egypt
Old Feb 11th, 2019, 02:28 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. Yes, I've learned the reasons why i can't go direct/package from UK. Agent said i would have to go from another country (Italy or similar) to get a package. So I am hoping someone else may have done it in last 3+ years and could share knowledge.
Old Feb 11th, 2019, 02:38 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
This has been a topic of conversation for some time among UK participants on the Trip Advisor forum for Sharm. Have a look.
Old Feb 11th, 2019, 02:46 PM

Air travel to Sharm el Sheikh airport is not advisable but if that doesn't concern you, try this:

https://www.neosair.it/

Otherwise check the Sharm el Sheikh airport website for info on other airlines that still fly, probably from Istanbul or Cairo.

There are still flights operating from UK to Hurghada and other places on the Red Sea but distances seem quite far to Sharm.

Last edited by Odin; Feb 11th, 2019 at 02:54 PM.
Old Feb 13th, 2019, 06:53 AM

Currently in Sharm. Totally safe.. try Turkish air thru Istanbul.
Old Feb 13th, 2019, 07:24 AM

There are no advisories about the resort itself, only about air travel to/from Sharm el Sheikh airport.

TK flights times via IST from London are not great, long layovers and the OP doesn't want departures from SSH at 2am or 3am. I used Egyptair.

For more civilised flight times, check out the link I posted for flights from Italy or this link for direct flights from Belgium. You can google info on package holidays departing from Italy or Belgium

If you have travel insurance issued in the UK, check small print for information on coverage to countries with advisories.
Old Feb 14th, 2019, 01:41 PM
Original Poster

Thanks - I hadn't thought of Belgium! easy to get to from London. And will check my HSBC travel insurance.
Old Mar 4th, 2019, 05:42 AM
Original Poster

Booked. Using Travelocity i was able to put together flight/all-inclusive hotel from Milan via AirItaly (old Meridiana). Decent times too! Thanks.
Old Mar 5th, 2019, 02:55 AM

Originally Posted by Gina2003
Booked. Using Travelocity i was able to put together flight/all-inclusive hotel from Milan via AirItaly (old Meridiana). Decent times too! Thanks.
Was that the Travelocity US site?
Old Mar 5th, 2019, 11:05 PM
Original Poster

Yes, US Travelocity site and quotes were in USD.