Getting to Masada (early)

Old May 17th, 2011, 06:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getting to Masada (early)

Hi!! My boyfriend and I are planning a trip to Israel in late August/early September. We plan to hike Masada, and would like to do so early one morning so that we can watch the sun rise from the top. As part of our trip, we're planning to stay both in Jerusalem and at the Dead Sea (probably Ein Gedi). I know that the Dead Sea is closer to Masada than Jerusalem is. However, we aren't sure whether to try to get to Masada from Jerusalem or from the Dead Sea. Would it be easier to get an EARLY bus to Masada from Jerusalem or from the Dead Sea?

Thank you!
Old May 17th, 2011, 10:32 AM

Masada is basically AT Ein Gedi (just several miles away), but the access point on that side is by cable car or the more difficult Snake Path.
If you were planning to climb the Roman path, it's almost a one hour drive around to get to that entrance.

I haven't done this by bus. I don't think there are any buses that would take you there from Jerusalem early enough. Even from Ein Gedi, you might need to take a taxi.
Old May 17th, 2011, 12:27 PM

Usually if you want to climb Masada for the sunrise you climb the Snake Path - it takes on average 45 minutes to an hour for the climb. The path opens an hour before sunrise.

In order to do this you would need to rent a car and then you can leave Jerusalem early enough, or you can stay at the Masada youth hostel (more like a motel), it is at the base of Masada and just a few minutes walk from the path.

There are no buses that are anywhere near early enough.
Old May 18th, 2011, 02:55 AM

www.einbokek.com/deadsea.htm

best place to stay for my sunrise trek best time to go

when I was there... check with them for info.

Happy Travels
Old May 18th, 2011, 03:00 AM

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...ews-The_Masada...

where most go very nice new complex at the foot of Masada
Old May 18th, 2011, 04:58 AM

If you want to stay in the area for a sunrise hike up Masada the youth hostel at Masada in the previous post is the best place to stay. It's really more like a motel, you can leave all your things in room and just take a 3 minute walk to the base of the trail.

Since you will be able to tour Masada after the climb, even though it is before the official opening time - you will have enough time to tour the site and still make it back down in time for breakfast.
Old May 31st, 2011, 08:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much!! The responses are really helpful!
Old Jun 2nd, 2011, 01:34 AM

I too highly recommend the Youth Hostel at Masada. It's very modern, nice rooms, lovely pool if you would like a swim afterwards, and you can include dinner and breakfast in the price. We stayed there and were very happy we did. You can drive right into the parking lot of Masada in 2 minutes or less if you have a car. If you don't have a car, I'm sure it takes all of 5 minutes to walk to the way in. At that time of the year you'd want to climb as early as possible because once the sun is up it will get pretty warm. It's beautiful to spend the night there too.
Old Jun 2nd, 2011, 09:45 AM

August is a busy tourism time. If you are planning to use the hostel it is very popular. I would suggest you make your reservations NOW!
Old Jun 15th, 2011, 11:09 AM

we just did this on Monday. we stayed ay Ein Gedi because we couldn't get a room at the hostel. got up at 4am and did the Snake Path. It took about an hour. We got up in tome to see the sunrise. While the Roman path is shorter the museum is. On the snake path side. We saw everything by 8am and tok the tram down in time for breakfast. It was hot by then.
Have fun!