Search

Getting nervous about guide

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27th, 2007, 02:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getting nervous about guide

Help ! I'm getting nervous has anyone worked with or heard of True African Safari Company?

Sue cat
Old Nov 27th, 2007, 03:23 PM

I haven't heard of them. Do you have a website?

How did you hear of them?
Old Nov 27th, 2007, 03:37 PM

I looked at their website. Never heard of them. You could ask if they are mentioned in any of the guidebooks. You could ask for references.
Old Nov 27th, 2007, 03:56 PM
Original Poster

Yes I asked for referances and they gave me three, all from Holland. All three referances spoke highly of them.

sue cat
Old Nov 27th, 2007, 04:57 PM

Where are you going and when? Have you already booked? Almost surely you can do just as well and most likely better with one of the established tour outfitters.
Old Nov 27th, 2007, 07:02 PM

I've never heard of them either. Where are you going? Find out if they're registered with the country's tourist board.

For what it's worth, my first trip I used an Arusha-based company whose clientele was primarily European. I believe the references I contacted were from a couple of Northern European countries and maybe also one client from somewhere in South America. Anyway, my point is do what you're comfortable with, but just because a company markets to a country that isn't yours doesn't mean they're not reputable.
Old Nov 27th, 2007, 07:06 PM
Original Poster

No I haven't booked but Joris has put a lot of time into my trip and he seems very nice. I don't want to have problems if they aren't reputable or too new or too small.

Out intineary is:

2nights KIgongoni Lodge or Arusha Coffee Lodge
2 nights Plantation Lodge
2 nights Olakira tented CAmp 2nights Sayari Camp South
4 Nights either Ras Nungwi Beach Hotel or Matemwe Bungalows(which do you think is better)?
I just sent an e-mail to Greenfoot print Adventure as a back up.

Old Nov 27th, 2007, 07:08 PM
Original Poster

Sorry, I forgot to add that we are we are going next December
Old Nov 28th, 2007, 04:11 AM

sue -

It's a good idea to keep all your questions about your trip under one thread. You already have about three and it's difficult for those responding to follow the progress. It'll also be easier for you to find everything in one place.

The itinerary, info on the tour operator, which accommodations, weather, food, tips... whatever. In one thread.
Old Nov 28th, 2007, 06:50 AM
Original Poster

Sorry this is my first time using a site like this. I'm a novice.
Old Nov 28th, 2007, 04:57 PM

Sue, have you checked to see if they're on TATO or registered with the Tanzanian Tourist Board?

Why are you nervous that "no one" has heard of them? Do you mean no one on Fodor's? Or...?

Old Nov 28th, 2007, 05:41 PM
Original Poster

Yes, no one at Foder or Frommers knows them. I did get three very positive recommendations from tourists in Holland and I also got a positive recommendation from Asilia Lodges & Camps. I'm feeling a bit better about them.
Old Nov 29th, 2007, 01:31 AM

I recently spent some time in Tanzania and specifically delt with Asilia lodges. I was personally introduced to Joris through Asilia and spent a number of days with Joris getting a very detailed understanding of how True Africa operates. Joris is a fantastic guy he is a perfectionist and takes his itineraries very seriously. His itineraries are extremely personal and most certainly highly credible. He works very closely with Asilia. Please bear in mind that Asilia are one of the big players in Tanzania and would not recommend an operator that did not match the high standards they expect from their suppliers. You can most certainly trust Joris and be absolutely confident that he will offer you the very best in service excellence. I am very critical as to how operators run their businesses, and can assure you I would not recommend True Africa if I was not impressed with the service they offer.
Old Nov 29th, 2007, 04:07 AM
Original Poster

Thank you I really liked Joris and do feel confident about True Africa now!
Old Nov 29th, 2007, 06:58 AM

Hi Sue,

Just saw your messages about TrueAfrica and your safari. Well I am from Holland as well and I can tell you that friends of mine had a great time with TrueAfrica! Very personal approach and know where you should be in what time of the year.

My friends stayed in Sujan/Suyan camp in the Serengeti and saw African hunting dogs etc...cool stuff! Alos stayed in Sayari in the south and I have seen the pictures..to be jealous about.

They said it was great and that you meet them in Arusha themselves. My friends know what traveling is about and like high service and knowledgable people to deal with, so that should be no problem.

Hope you have a great time in Tanzania!

Cheers,
Bram