Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Safari Options in April: Botwsana and South Africa?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14th, 2005, 07:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are first-timers to southern African and have never been on a safari before. We are planning a three week trip to southern Africa in April and are trying to pin down our safari options--we are pretty active people and have had friends tell us that 8 nights on safari is plenty for us. Currently in the running are the following safari combinations:

Kwara 2 nights
Chief's 2 nights
San Camp 3 nights

OR

Kwara 2 nights
Little Vumbura 3 nights
San Camp 2 nights

OR

Kwara and Chief's for 4 nights total
plus a South Africa safari:
Gorah Elephant Lodge in Addo
or
Phinda in Kwazulu Natal

OR

Kwara and LV for 5 nights total plus one of the same South African destinations (Gorah or Phinda)

Does anyone have thoughts on these specific combinations in April? Thanks!
Old Dec 14th, 2005, 08:02 AM

Lorerts
It's really hard to judge how many nights of safari is "about right" for someone else as we all have such different preferences. I know for some it's a few nights, for others a couple of weeks, and for me one to two months!
I can't comment on all your camps but I have a few comments which may help:
Chief's Camp is in Moremi - same area as Mombo. Mombo is world renowned for the excellence of game viewing and Chief's will certainly afford you some of that. Guides have told us it's not quite as dense in game because Mombo game is hedged in a bit more - Mombo is at an edge of the island so game is trapped by the waters. That said, any of a large list of Delta camps will give you a fabulous game viewing experience. My favourites include Mombo and Tubu Tree.
Little Vumbura is a lovely little camp and the water activities are just magical. You could also consider Jacana which is another water camp and was even more magical for me than LV.
San Camp is sister camp to Jack's Camp and has had it's accommodation upgraded - the tents that used to be used at Jack's Camp were upgraded about 1.5 to 2 years ago and the older tents used to upgrade San Camp. Old San Camp tents were used to upgrade staff accommodation so everyone was happy. I mention this because a lot of websites out there don't seem to have updated their images so you may want to check on the Wilderness Safaris (now marketing San) site for latest images.
Old Dec 14th, 2005, 08:17 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Kavey! I completely understand that everyone has a different opinion about the right about of safari nights. We're going with the attitude that it's better to want more...for our next trip!

Old Dec 14th, 2005, 09:07 AM

just wondering what are you going to do with your other 13 nights?
Old Dec 14th, 2005, 09:37 AM
Original Poster

We have 19 nights total in Africa and if we have around 8 safari nights we will have 11 nights to divide between Victoria Falls, Capetown/Wine Country and possibly the Garden Route. We will also spend at least one night in Johannesburg since we fly in there (and out of Capetown).
Old Dec 14th, 2005, 10:12 AM

From what I understand from previous posters, San Camp is quite a different experience that traditional safari camps in Botswana, is that why you chose it?

I would try and combine Moremi with the Linyanti, do three nights at each and finish with two nights at a water camp like Tubu or Jao. I went to chiefs in 2003 and thoroughly enjoyed it. The game is not as plentiful as Mombo, but it was great. I have not been to Botswana in April and so my advice does need that caveat.

I would definitely consider Duma Tau, Savuti, Kwnado Lebala or the Selinda camps for three nights, though my own personal favorite budget buster is Kings Pool.
Old Dec 14th, 2005, 07:56 PM
Original Poster

Napamatt,
Yes, we are thinking of San Camp because it has been described to us as very unique. My understanding was that staying at Kwaro would afford us water camp activities, but perhaps we need to rethink that. Thanks for your thoughts.