gamer reserve, lodge, safari camp recommendations

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9th, 2017, 05:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a bit of a follow-up on my earlier post. We're looking for two different safari/ gamer reserve experiences. We'd like to do it in such a way that we minimize traveling complexity as we don't want to spend too much of our precious time in transit (we'll have a bit over two weeks total in S.A.) I'm thinking 3 nights each for the safari lodges/camps. We'd also like to minimize driving so camps that will arrange airport transfers would be nice. So far we've thought about Addo Elephant reserve, samara private game reserve, shamwari game reserve, trip advisor keeps throwing out to me Kariega game reserve - we've also looked at some in the Kwazulu -natal area. I know everyone keeps saying we shouldn't miss the Krueger area but that looks to me like we would need to fly in from Johannesburg, and then fly back to Johannesburg and transfer in order to get to Capetown or Durban (or are there direct flights there?)

price range is a bit imprecise as it looks like this will far and away be the biggest expense of the trip - I know this is a very wide range but something between $500-1000USD would be acceptable (eek) if its all inclusive.

It looks like we'll need to fly into and out of Johannesburg - and in addition to the safari/game reserve part of things would like to see Capetown and the Garden route. any ideas you have of your favorite places and an itinerary that makes sense would be very appreciated.
Old Sep 11th, 2017, 12:31 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We've been to Shamwari a few years ago for three nights and stayed in their Long Lee Manor. We had a great room at the front of the house looking down to the waterhole and across the reserve.

The food was excellent, the staff were friendly and the animal sightings were spectacular. We did two trips each day, 6am and 6pm, although this may move with different seasons and can thoroughly recommend the place. They did pick us up from the airport at PE and deliver us back there at the end of the stay.
Old Sep 11th, 2017, 08:24 AM

You can definitely fly JNB to Kruger and then Kruger (any of the 3 airports) to Cape Town and then Cape Town to Durban or PE.
Not sure how many people are travelling , you could look at choosing AndBeyond lodges like Kirkmans and Phinda so you get a long stay discount but not sure if you travelling with children.
You could also do 2 different areas in Kruger, if going to PE area only maybe Amakhala and Samara but I would try and at least combine with Kruger, Natal or Madikwe.
Sandy - owner - Love Africa Travel
Old Sep 11th, 2017, 05:19 PM
Original Poster

Thank you - I shall look at all of the above (and it's only two of us traveling)
Old Sep 11th, 2017, 06:29 PM

Is that budget per person or per couple? Per night or for 3 nights?

There are lodges in all budgets. All lodges can arrange transfers or you can arrange it yourself through Hylton Ross, Sable, others. Driving is easy and usually much easier on the budget. Try Senalala, nThambo, Ivory Riverside, nDzuti, Inyati, Arathusa, Kambaku, Africa on Foot. There are many, many more. If none of those interest you, we can help with more.

I love safari and try to do it last. I also do Kruger and KwaZulu Natal - I love both! I drive between them but there are commercial flights - most have a layover in JNB but there is one direct flight Durban/Nelspruit. Unfortunately it doesn't always work out well time wise with the lodge schedules. Use the airports nearest your lodge choices - three in Kruger, 2 in KZN. There are also scheduled charters but they can be very expensive, though convenient.

What do you want to do in KZN? There's so much! St Lucia for the fun, Thonga/Rocktail/Zimbali for beach, excellent affordable game reserves like Tembe Elephant Park and Manyoni, the mountains and San Art in Giants Castle.

Keep in mind the reserves on the Eastern Cape are pretty small. Addo Elephant National Park is great and there are private concession lodges in the park. But I'd do Kruger and/or KZN.