Game reserves- big 5 AND luxury for less?

Nov 15th, 2001, 03:07 AM
Arthur

Game reserves- big 5 AND luxury for less?

I have read many wonderful things about Singita and Londolozi, but don't want to pay USD1400 a night per couple. Is there anything you'd highly recommend near Kruger for about USD500 to 600 per couple per night? Many thanks in advance.

Nov 15th, 2001, 06:37 AM
JC

Take a look at Mala Mala, in the Sabi Sand Reserve ... specifically at Kirkman's Kamp and Harry's Camp ... they may be more or less $300 per night per person. May I suggest an agent in Florida who specializes in S. Africa, Botswana, etc. ... Karell Agency ... contact Lesley Cusick. She is helping with our next trip to SA, including Kruger. I can also suggest some less expensive places in the Natal area, but at only the most expensive are you guaranteed to see the so-called Big Five ... for example, Phinda Reserve, and that is probably over $400 PP/night. Sensationally nice place, with good rangers and trackers, and they work hard to deliver. But you do pay more for the service. You can also contact ccafrica.com for assistance.

Nov 15th, 2001, 07:22 AM
Jenny

Have you tried the ordinary camps in the Kruger? They are a bit busier, etc., but we hired rondavels (traditional hut/chalets) in both Skukuza and Oliphants camps - book ahead though. If you want more info., email me on hotmail, and I'll look back the records to see what we paid....

Nov 15th, 2001, 10:03 AM
JC

A few more details on private lodges in the southern sections of the Kruger (area reported best for game viewing): given your price parameters, you want to avoid Sabi Sabi, Singita, Ulusaba abd Londolozi. But the folling may well be within your price range: Chitwa, Djuma (Bush Lodge), Idube and Inyati. Keep in mind, and this is so important, that by paying for a private lodge, you receive all meals, rangers and trackers, game drives, bush walks, administrative details, ensuite bathroom, general services (including some laundry), excellent lodging, private attention to your needs. You are free to see the animals and meet other people with goals and interests similar to your own. You are relieved of the all day-to-day responsibilities and planning. You pay more, certainly, but you receive more. If it's a first trip, you might be wise to go for a private lodge, mid-price range. Look for what you will be offered ... how many game drives, which animals are sighted there, how many chalets, information about the room and food, etc. Have a good trip.

Nov 18th, 2001, 12:25 PM
nikkitinto

We researched a large number of South African private camps earlier this year. You can find very detailed and unbiased reviews and photos of our favourite ones on www.i-escape.com Prices start from around US$150 per person.

Search this Thread