Game drives - restroom opportunitites?

Old Feb 29th, 2016, 11:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Game drives - restroom opportunitites?

I'm taking a tour to South Africa with Nomad Adventure Tours and am wondering how the game drives work. Are there opportunities for bathroom breaks? I always get worried about bathroom stops while out and about... I know to pack extra toilet paper and baggies, but wasn't sure if these stops were a normal occurrence or more of an emergency only type situation?
Old Feb 29th, 2016, 11:21 AM

Please post a link to the tour. All tours are different, so we can't help without knowing anything about it.
Old Feb 29th, 2016, 11:25 AM
Original Poster

Here's the link:
http://nomadtours.co.za/this-year/kr...uth/#itinerary
Old Feb 29th, 2016, 02:16 PM

Four of us took a private safari, and our guide was excellent at planning stops at restrooms; some were nicer than others.
A couple of times, the guys asked to "check the tires".
The women never had to do that, but I had brought along a "go girl" just in case.
Old Feb 29th, 2016, 02:44 PM

None of those game drives are on private land without restrooms. Just remind the guide that you require a break every x hours and s/he will plan an appropriate route. You will not be allowed to take a "break" where there is not a designated area to get out of the vehicle, so be sure to tell him/her your needs - maybe contact Nomad ahead of time, too.

If you are very concerned, there are lots of people who wear Depends on game drives. If there is a particularly interesting sighting, no one will want to leave so you can use a bathroom, and shouldn't.

It's a shame that you won't be staying inside any of the parks, but the parks you are visiting (for too short a time) are excellent. I've been to all of them, loved all of them. Do as many game drives as are offered. Not sure I would choose the park game drive over the Nomad one on that day it's offered in Kruger. It depends on which is longer, I think.

I've taken a very similar trip you are doing, we spent three weeks on our own, though. You are going to love every second. Every day is spectacular. I'm particularly enamored with the iSimangaliso Wetland Park right now. Gorgeous. If you get a chance, do the horseback ride safari - it's very fun, takes about 2 hours and they will pick you up if you are staying in St Lucia. Request a stop at the big craft market on the N2 on the way to Durban. Good because it has lots of local artists' wares and there's no haggling. Cash only in Rand, so be sure to get some at an ATM before you leave the airport. We've bought some great pieces there. When you pass the turnoff to Mtunzini, think of me - we are retiring there. Yes, we love it!
Old Mar 1st, 2016, 06:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the advice! I'll definitely keep that in mind! I agree, the trip isn't long enough. But vacation time is hard to come by in the US so I'm focusing on seeing everything now and (hopefully) I'll fall in love with one area and return in the future to spend more time!
Old Mar 1st, 2016, 01:29 PM

I live in the U.S. I totally understand the lack of vacation time. We were lucky a few years ago to have lots of vacation time after many years of service. Not so lucky now.

Sorry - you won't fall in love with one area. You're going to love it all. We chose KZN to retire because it's oceanfront and within a one day drive to Kruger. The game viewing in KZN is surprisingly great too. Best of all worlds for us.

Just keep in mind that although the flight is long, it's not significantly more expensive than flying to Europe. You'll be back. The tour you are taking will give you a taste of a little part of souther Africa. Just know many of us were planning our return before our planes landed at home.

Let us know how it goes.