Full-board/Half-board

Oct 22nd, 2002, 04:56 PM
xxx

Full-board/Half-board

Would someone please tell me what full-board in a Safari Lodge rate includes as opposed to half-board. Just not terms I am familiar with or understand. Thanks. xxx

Oct 23rd, 2002, 06:26 AM
Professional Traveler

Full board means breakfast, lunch and dinner are included in the room rate. Half board is just breakfast and dinner.

Full American Plan and Modified American Plan are synonyms.

Oct 23rd, 2002, 07:10 AM
kavey

Many of the lodges also include some of the bar drinks and some wine with dinner, so it's worth clarifying with an agent or with the lodge exactly what is included.
Likewise some include laundry whereas others charge for it etc.

Oct 23rd, 2002, 08:52 AM
xxx

Thanks. Then they add an all inclusive rate and I am really bewildered. This is a Safari Lodge in Tanzania I have been comunicating with and I just cannot understand what the rates include. Almost not worth the effort. But thanks anyway. xxx

Oct 23rd, 2002, 10:16 AM
chris

If it's an isolated lodge (most likely?) than almost certainly it will be full-board (all meals included). I think when they say "all-inclusive" they are adding the safari drives.

Oct 23rd, 2002, 12:06 PM
xxx

Hi Chris-
I think you hit the nail on the head. You make it all seem so easy. I have pondered those terms and could not understand. Thanks xxx

Oct 24th, 2002, 04:05 AM
kavey

In Europe the term All Inclusive usually means they are including alcoholic beverages which are often not included in full board.

As far as I am aware these are the meanings of the following:

RO = Room Only (no food or drink included)

BB = Bed and breakfast (Accommodation plus breakfast - the breakfast is sometimes described as contintental which tends to include some kind of bread and/or pastries, sometimes jams, hams and cheeses, and tea and coffee or as Full breakfast which includes all the hot stuff like sausage, egg, bacon, and often also cereal, yoghurt, fruit etc).

HB = Half Board (This means room, breakfast and one meal a day is included, in many places this is fixed as either lunch or dinner, in others it can be taken either at lunch or dinner. Occasionally this may include a fixed amount of house wine with the meal but not often).

FB = Full Board (as above but includes both lunch and dinner)

AI = All Inclusive (as FB plus alcoholic drinks and wine with meals and sometimes also means some other services such as laundry. Used most often to refer to resorts such as Sandals where all drinks adn meals during the stay are included throughout the day).

SOME places that offer AI state that the drinks included only cover locally branded drinks such as the local vodka or beer and that internationally branded drinks such as Bud beer or Schmirnoff vodka are not included.

Hope this helps a little...

Kavey

Search this Thread