Search

FOOD IN EGYPT

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20th, 2001, 10:12 AM
GWEN

FOOD IN EGYPT

I KNOW WHAT I SHOULDN'T EAT BUT WHAT SHOULD I EAT. ANY SPECIALTY DISHES? MOST OF THE POSTS TALK ABOUT MUMMYS TUMMY WHICH I'M ASSUMING IS EXACTLY LIKE MONTEZUMAS REVENGE IN MEXICO. I DID FINE IN MEXICO WITH A STEADY DIET OF PEPTO BISMOL 3 TIMES A DAY TO COAT MY STOMACH. DO I DO THE SAME IN EGYPT? IF NOT, DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY RECOMMENDATIONS? THANKS FOR THE IMPUT

Old Mar 21st, 2001, 11:37 AM
gail

I am an RN and we are going on package tour 4/13. I choose to err totally on the side of caution, partly because we will have our 2 kids with us, but maily because, although I love all sorts of exotic and common foods, I am not going to Egypt for the food. I am bringing lots of Immodium, but also plan to take Pepto Bismol tabs (1/2 dose) 1-2 times/day from the beginning. In addition, I will not be buying any food from vendors, am being really careful about water, and will reluctantly have to avoid the fruit/veggie thing unless I can peel it. Especially since we are on a package tour, I can not imagine anything more horrible than to have major intestinal problems while trapped with a group/on a bus, etc. It eliminates the option of waiting it out of a day back at the hotel. I know many people have posted her and elsewhere saying they eat anything at small funky places in foreign countries, but I would rather see everything than eat everything.

Old Mar 22nd, 2001, 05:08 AM
Charlie

On our trip to Egypt last september I noticed that our guide was drinking lemonade at every opportunity,when asked about it she said that was what the locals used to avoid Mummy's tummie.I don't like drinking"plain" water so,as luck would have it, I had taken Crystal Light lemonade mix along with us and that was my beverage of choice for the 2 week trip.I can't tell you that was the secret cure but I didn't get sick while my wife suffered for about 3 days,she DID NOT drink lemonade.The lemonade may be worth a try.....have a great trip!!

Old Mar 22nd, 2001, 10:01 AM
Jack Sigano

Prior to our trip to Egypt last Sept, we did much research and found something that worked well for us. In your pharmacy or health food store they sell "APPLE CIDER VINEGAR' pills. They cost about $7 for a bottle of 100. If you take one before each meal it will kill the bacteria that is harmful to your body. There is no taste to the pill. The tap water is so bad, we were told to use bottled water even to brush our teeth. Luckily bottled water is found easily and is very inexpensive. If you are on an organized tour, the food should be okay, but as the other letter states, stay away from salads and fruits you don't peel. Egypt for westerners is a place where you eat to live and not live to eat. E mail me for any other questions I might be able to help with. Are you doing a cruise on the Nile?

Old Mar 22nd, 2001, 11:38 AM
Rich

I lived in Cairo for two years and got the tummy three times, everytime I ate at a "western" hotel. <BR> <BR>I followed the advice of a buddy who lived there before me: <BR> <BR> - Drink nothing without alcohol in it <BR> - Eat nothing uncooked <BR> - Wash your hands before eating <BR> <BR>

Old Mar 22nd, 2001, 06:03 PM
LEANNA

Jack, Great advice on the apple cider pills....I'll pick some up. <BR> <BR>Also my dr. told me to use small alcohol wipes...and to use them constantly. They are very cheap and come in nice little packets. He said the germs can be on the money so wipe that down, also dont lend your binoculars to the little kids and let them look thru them. The germs can come thru your eye or just from touching stuff at the market place and have nothing to do w/ what you ate. Interesting theory anyway! <BR> <BR>I've had anoemic dysentary and it is horrid. You also never really get over it...so I'm set to be as careful as I can in E when I go next month! <BR> <BR>Horrid way to have to be huh? You travel for the joy of seeing and learning then have to act like a paranoid ole foo foo!!!! sigh!!!!

Old Mar 24th, 2001, 05:53 AM
Karen

Gwen, We went with a tour and no problems with the food. We ate fruits, vegetable, everything. Supposedly the hotel we stayed at prepared food with purified water. We were also very careful. Used anti-bacterial handi-wipes, washed hands alot and drank only botted water, even for brushing our teeth. <BR>The food in Egypt is great. Lot of quail, lamb, pidgins; and great fresh veggies and fruits.