Search

Five new African sites added to UN's World Heritage list

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14th, 2006, 06:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Five new African sites added to UN's World Heritage list

http://www.capeargus.co.za/index.php...icleId=3337195

The Chongoni rock art area in Malawi and Kondoa rock art sites in Tanzania, along with the Stone Circles of Senegambia in Gambia and Senegal, were three of the five African additions.

The Senegambia site consists of four large groups of stone circles, housing 1 000 monuments in a band 100 kilometres wide along the River Gambia.

Harrar Jugol, a town in Ethiopia which houses 82 mosques, was also among the new entries.

Mauritius got its first site on the list with Aapravasi Ghat, in Port Louis, where the British government in 1834 launched its "great experiment" in "free labour to replace slaves" - nothing more than indentured labour.
Old Jul 14th, 2006, 07:03 PM

Thit Cho,

Thanks for this information.

Do you have any idea if any of these areas in Malawi or Tanzania are within striking range from any of the wildlife areas?

As far as rock art goes, I am 95% sure that I will be visiting Matobos Hills in Zimbabwe next May where there is also rock art (probably the richest site of San Rock Art that is known, according to Camp Amalinda website), and which is also appears on the World Heritage list:

www.campamalinda.com

Old Jul 15th, 2006, 04:52 AM

Thit_cho - no idea where you are based, but if you can get political, so can I.

In 1834 the US was more than happy to keep slaves. Took another 30 years and a civil war to change that. And another 100 years + to see black people given equal rights.

I am not saying indentured labour was a good thing, and it has created problems in countries to where people were shipped and their descendants now live. But at the time it was a step in the right direction.

I really think you shouldn't make throw away comments like that without knowing your history and having some understanding of the context of the times.

If you wish to disagree - fine.
Old Jul 15th, 2006, 05:25 AM
Original Poster

Rocco, I have no idea where those sights are located, but a very good resource for info on World Heritage Sites is http://www.thesalmons.org/lynn/world.heritage.html

Fuzzylogic, I wasn't "getting political" -- I merely cut-and-pasted the four paragraphs from the linked article in my post.
Old Jul 15th, 2006, 06:12 AM
santharamhari

Very interesting reading, Micael. Thks

Hari