First time to South Africa

Nov 21st, 2005, 05:25 PM
Original Poster

First time to South Africa

My husband and I are taking our grandchildren (ages 17 & 19) to Africa next June for two weeks. I am thinking we should spend at least five days in Cape Town, go to Victoria Falls for a full day and night. Then we want to do two safari camps then end up in Joburg. Does anyone have ideas about what camps would be good at that time of the year and any recommendations for an itinerary? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Nov 22nd, 2005, 12:29 PM

I can recommend Sabi Sand Game Reserve at that time of year, though it will be cold. My personal favourite is Mala Mala, but there are lots to choose from in different levels of price and luxury.

If taking Malaria medication is an issue then you may want to go to Madikwe or another malaria free area.

I would want to spend time in Cape Town, visiting the Cape, Winelands, Hermanus etc. I also liked going north up the coast.

Oudsthoorn is worth a visit for the ostriches, that would then put you close to Addo where you could I believe do a self drive safari, before flying from PE to Joburg and onto the SSGR.
Nov 23rd, 2005, 06:43 AM

ttt
Nov 23rd, 2005, 01:13 PM

Kakki

Try reposting something like Help needed with First trip to SA.
Nov 25th, 2005, 04:09 PM

I'm eighteen years old and after a dozen trips to South Africa and pretty well aquainted with the area, particularly Cape Town. Having made the trip both with my parents and on my own, there are some things that while I enjoyed, were geared more towards the adults (eg: Constantia for the winelands, the botanical gardens, etc.) and then there are some things that were fantastic for my age group. Here are some suggestions that could really make the trip for your grandchildren, as well as you.

For a really special dining experience, eat at a restaurant called Moyo. Make reservations well in advance-and you must request to eat in a tree. Yes! You read this correctly. Moyo is a truly unique place where you will watch Zulu men and women dance, sing, and play the drums, as well as enjoy an amazing meal of South African food in an ENORMOUS (200+ ft. long) buffet. Moyo is located in Jo'burg as well as in Spiers.

-Check out a rugby game (Stormers/Sharks) at night. Even if you don't know about the game, the enthusiasm of the crowd makes it an experience. I for one know little about Rugby, but it was a highlight of my last trip.

-Table Mountain is a must. There is a cable car to take up the mountain, but if you are into more of an adventure, there are hiking routes up the mountain. But definitely take the cable car one way. Make sure to go on a clear day.

-For shopping, definitely check out the Cape Quarter/Long Street. Great restaurants, cute shops, beautiful scenery. Long street is lined with colorful houses and leads all the way to the ocean. There is also Haymarket Square, Canal Walk, Century City, Cavendesh, and the Victoria and Alfred Waterfront.

-Check out Cork Bay...cute restaurants, adorable shops, absolutely stunning scenery.

-For an amazing view of the city hike Signal Hill

-Try to wake up early one morning, say 6/7 and go to Seapoint. It is a beautiful walk along the beachfront, and everyone is out and about and active. Really a nice way to start the day. Check out the Newport cafe after and treat yourself to a delicious smoothie!

-I always liked driving through the area around the University, even through the University to check it out. There are great study abroad programs at UCT...depending on how much your grandchildren enjoy Capetown, it may be worth looking at!

*Hope this helps, and if you have any further questions feel free to drop me an e-mail. [email protected]

Search this Thread