Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Finding Last Minute Safari Discounts in Nairobi??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25th, 2009, 12:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am traveling to Kenya in September and am thinking about doing a 4 day Masai Mara Safari while I am there. I would like to do a tent safari in a smaller camp so that there is less of a "touristy feeling". looking at the options this means a higher price. The cheapest internet rate I have found is a fly in at Kichwa Tumbo tented camp for $1500 with & Beyond.

My question is, am I better off waiting until I get to Nairobi to purchase this type of safari? Given it is the high season what chances will I have at finding a nicer camp at a much reduced rate to what I can get it for now? If the chances are good, what should I expect to pay for these more pricier camps?

Anyone have any experience?? Thanks.
Old Jun 25th, 2009, 01:11 PM

i used a local tour operator out of arusha call bushback safaris. let me know how you made out

ed at [email protected]
Old Jun 25th, 2009, 01:55 PM

eddieg - OP is going to Kenya. Arusha is in Tanzania.

Tamserku - $1500 at Kichwa Tembo including air to/from, daily park fees, tent/meals and game drives is a pretty good deal for 4/days-3/nts. However, KT isn't a small camp; has 40/tents.

Smaller camps, those will less than 10/tents are simply more expensive and doubtful even once in NBO you'll get away with less than the above, probably more. While there might be availability at smaller properties these might not be located where or be the one you want.

Besides, do you have the time once in NBO to be running around from tour operator-to-tour operator to find one that has a better deal than another?

Best to make your arrangements ahead of time when you can choose where and how much!
Old Jun 25th, 2009, 02:19 PM

I would contact Kennedy Muthoka of Waymark Safaris. He is based in Nairobi and many fodorites have used him. I don't think you can be in better hands. Tell him he was recommend on Fodors. His personal email is:

ispear4 at hotmail dot com
Old Jun 26th, 2009, 02:32 AM

Despite the global recession take into consideration that SEP is PEAK PEAK season because of the migration.
So in order to probably save 100 or 200$ but risk not being able to get accommodation I would rather book in advance!

1500$ incl. flights means approc. 1200$ for 3 nights accommodation almost all inclusive is not bad at all!

Maybe have a look at the map and choose any camp to contact and ask for rates but think of adding the reserve fees and maybe concervancy fees as well if staying outside the reserve!
And don't forget to pay attention to the "extras" camps might charge which adds up quite significantly! E.g. Mara Timbo camp (outside the reserve) charges for bushwalks, night drives, drinks etc.

here is the map:
http://www.go-safari.com/Masai%20Mar...a2007Nov20.jpg

SV
Old Jul 15th, 2009, 09:53 AM

Hi Tamserku,
I have actually booked Kichwa Tembo through MICS Tours & Safaris Ltd. The cost for the 4 days maasai mara safari staying at the Kichwa Tembo main camp is working out to US $ 1270.00! ex Nairobi and US $ 1330 ex Mombasa. I will be traveling from Nairobi. I am going in August. There are several good offers like the Royal mara which has only 8 tents working out to US $ 1360.00 that is if you are looking for a less congested camp. Here is the link with the offers.
http://micssafaris.com/Migration%20Safari_nbo.html

Do your homework and you will get what you need and for the right price.
Old Jul 15th, 2009, 01:50 PM

With few exceptions, some of the prices being offered are ridiculously low, whether direct with lodge/camp or thru an outfitter.

My observation: no one is making any money on guests. Seems to be just a matter of getting a warm body to cover their expenses, if that.

Even at Kichwa Tembo at $1,270* for 3/nts, less the return air WIL/MAR/WIL, comes to $330/person/nt. Then deduct the daily costs of $60 park fee... doesn't leave much for room/tent, 3/meals, 2/game drives daily, airstrip transfers, vehicle cost/petrol, salary for guide, staff, etc.

*less than what &Beyond is charging and they own the darn camp.

Grab them while you can folks, because when the economy improves... up, up and away go the prices.