feedback on Nkwali, Kapani and Mfuwe lodges

Aug 12th, 2005, 02:37 PM
Original Poster

feedback on Nkwali, Kapani and Mfuwe lodges

Hello, everyone:

The three lodges we are now looking at in and around SLNP are Nkwali, Kapani, and Mfuwe. Any feedback on any of these lodges would be most appreciated. Why might one be better than the others? What are the drawbacks and pluses for each?

Thank you.

Lisa
Aug 12th, 2005, 06:57 PM
Lin

Dear Lisa

I have not stayed in any of these lodges, but I did notice that Mfuwe was just on the outskirts of the airport and town of Mfuwe. It looked nice, can be seen from the road. I also know that it's about an hour from there to Puku Ridge where I stayed, and I saw the Mfuwe vehicles driving around the Puku Ridge area. I'm not sure whether you might have to drive further to get to the best animal-viewing places. You might want to check on the exact location.
Aug 12th, 2005, 06:59 PM

I haven't been there yet, but in looking at the websites, mfuwe has 18 "rooms" which means if fully booked, that is around 36 people. kapani accommodates up to 20. nkwali has only 6 "rooms" have you considered luangwa river lodge? also has 6 "rooms" so possibly only 12 people there when fully booked which should mean less traffic on the drives and a more intimate experience. that and with Rocco's reccommendations is why I chose Luangwa River Lodge for my October trip. Mfuwe looked and sounded good on their website, but I prefer less people and possibly more quality time with the guides.
Dennis
Aug 12th, 2005, 07:07 PM

Actually, Luangwa River Lodge is currently only able to accomodate six, by far making it the most exclusive permanent/year round lodge in all of Zambia, if not Southern Africa.

By the end of the season they will be up to a capacity for eight, still making it possibly the most exclusive lodge in Southern Africa.

If not Luangwa River Lodge, then I would go with Kapani or Nkwali, but I do favor the location of Luangwa River Lodge, especially with the reports of traffic in the Mfuwe part of the park. Luangwa River Lodge may be the northernmost lodge in the Mfuwe Sector, making a drive north very easy to escape the crowds.
Aug 13th, 2005, 02:07 AM

Lisa,

We were in Zambia earlier this year and stayed at both Kapani and Nkwali. I've posted the link to our trip report here.

We stayed at Kapani first. The rooms were huge, the staff and manager lovely and the food excellent. Meals were served on a platform down by the edge of a lagoon. The path down was a little steep, but it was in a beautiful setting almost at the level of the lagoon where there were frequently Hippos to be seen and heard. It takes about 45 mins to get from Kapani to the park gates, in daylight this was fine because it was like being on a game drive; in the evening it was a little cold so make sure you bring a fleece or something.

Nkwali was our favourite though - mainly I think because of the real warmth of all the staff and the excellent guiding we experienced there. The setting is right on the edge of the river so the sights, sounds and smells of Africa really carried. The rooms were a little smaller than Kapani but stil plenty big enough with everything you would need. One advantage of Nkwali is that you can cross to the park side of the river from the camp so there was no need for the long drive around to the main gates (the jeep would be waiting the other side). However you have to drive back around through the park and road to come back at night.

We didn't stay at Mfuwe but my observations are:

Great position inside the park so no need for long drives to get there.

Rooms look over a lagoon where there was always lots of game and birds in evidence.

Very close to the main road so during the day there were always a lot of jeeps driving back and forth quite close to the lodge.

Much larger than the other camps so probably not the same intimate feeling.

Trip report link:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...4&tid=34595009

Search this Thread