Feedback on March itinerary

Old Feb 15th, 2007, 01:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Feedback on March itinerary

Hi! We're about to book a 10-day Tanzania trip and were hoping we could get some advice on our itinerary. We're specially interested in hearing your thoughts about the safari(first 6 days, last 4 are in Zanzibar), which we have been shown by Naipenda:

Day 1: Lake Manyara (stay at Kirumuru)
Day 2: Serengeti (Naipenda's Mobile tented camp)
Day 3: Serengeti (Naipenda's Mobile tented camp)
Day 4: Serengeti (Naipenda's Mobile tented camp)
Day 5: Olmoti & Nainokanoka (Plantation or Farm House)
Day 6: Ngorongoro Crater (Plantation or Farm House)
Day 7: Transfer to airport and flight to Z'bar

Questions:
- Any feedback on Naipenda as an operator, and on their mobile tented camps?
- Is Olmoti/Nainokanoka worth it and feasible in our plan? (We tried to make it coincide with the Sunday)
- In Ngorongoro, would you choose Plantation Lodge or Farm House?

Many, many thanks in advance. All feedback really appreciated!
Old Feb 15th, 2007, 01:31 PM
sandi

When are planning? 2007 or 2008? Where are the mobile camps located in the Serengeti?

Farmhouse is closer to the crater if you're planning a morning crater floor visit. Both are lovely properties.

Old Feb 15th, 2007, 02:27 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Sandi.

we're planning to go in 2007 (in 2 weeks time!). I know its way too late to be hesitating...

I think the camps are in the south of Serengeti, but not sure where they are this year.

Regards
Old Feb 15th, 2007, 03:44 PM

<b>we're planning to go in 2007 (in 2 weeks time!)</b>

Just a couple of comments, as we were in this area about 3 weeks ago ...

<b>Is Olmoti/Nainokanoka worth it and feasible in our plan?</b>

We hoped to do the Olmoti hike one afternoon while staying at Ngorongoro but the rains had been especially fierce and the roads were supposedly pretty much impassable to Nainokanoka. You could probably drive it but it might take much longer than usual and you might get stuck.

We decided to pass on Olmoti this year.

This was Jan 26-28, and I hear they've had more heavy rains since so this may still be a problem for access.

<b>Day 6: Ngorongoro Crater (Plantation or Farm House)</b>

Personally I feel if you want to go into the crater you're better off staying inside the NCA at one of the lodges on the rim since it will take you maybe 2 hours just to reach the floor from Karatu (which is where you are staying, outside the NCA).

But at least the crater floor wasn't as crowded as last year because of all the bad roads inside.

<b>Any feedback on Naipenda as an operator</b>

There was one very positive post recently (which slammed almost every other operator in Arusha) and several negative ones ... you should be able to search on the name and find these posts.

If the weather (rain) lets up you should have a great time, but it's been very wet and mid-March often heralds the start of the really heavy rains.

Bill

Old Feb 27th, 2007, 09:23 AM

Hi. A friend and I stayed in the Serengeti at a Naipenda mobile tented camp in October 2006. Naipenda hosted us on our 7 days in Tanzania, and were SO attentive to us. We are now thinking of booking another trip directly with Naipenda because of their attention to detail. The tent experience was VERY new to us--we are not campers. And we were warned (by Naipenda!) that this was 'medium' camping. It was our BEST accommodation experience on our trip. The camp staff were fabulous. The tents were comfortable, the beds were fine, the toilet facilities worked great, the showers were hot, and the food was the best on our entire 12-day trip. Each morning we were awakened with hot water for washing. They were wonderful. Have no concerns about Naipenda's campsites. It will be one of your best decisions. I'm jealous. If your server is Joseph, tell him Robin and Marianne say hello. And if Chris is your guide, tell him we miss him!