eygpt hotels and travel help

Old Feb 17th, 2006, 01:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
eygpt hotels and travel help

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone could give some recommendation for hotels in cairo. I am looking into the four seasons do you guys know which of the two is better.
Also me and my boyfriend are going to eygpt for 10 days whats the best itinerary?
how many days in cairo, and how do i get to luxor for the nile cruise, and which nile cruise do you recommend?
lastly if i have achoice between going to the red sea and a desert camping trip which is better, i am worried that the red sea will be cold at the end of march.
i am sorry about all the questions and i appreciate all teh help you can give me.
Thanks
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 04:57 PM

Hello,

I also had to choose between the two FS and went with the Nile Plaza as it has a much better location for seeing Cairo -- the First Residence is a bit isolated, though it looks like it's a bit posher.

Cheers,
Julian
Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 06:44 PM

We stayed at the Four Seasons Nile Plaza for 5 nights this past December and I highly recommend it. The rooms are lovely with high grade furnishings and a true haven from the din of Cairo. There are more restaurants than the Four Seasons Giza. We ate out 2 nights and the other 3 at the hotel. After long tiring days, it was a pleasure to take the elevator to dinner. The breakfast buffet was amazing, truly outstanding for choice & quality. We easily walked two times to the Egyptian Museum.

You can fly or take the train to Luxor. Your itinerary would depend on your interests. I would suggest reading a guide book and figure out for yourself what you want to see and how much time you want to spend in Cairo and how many places you want to see in Luxor and on the Nile.

We were at Sharm for a week in late November, the days were warm and the evenings were cool. The snorkeling was the best we've ever had.
Old Mar 4th, 2006, 01:36 AM

Hi monkey. Having read the reaktions to my comment, I just have to write. My husband, parents and I stayed for 2 weeks in Cairo and had a good vacation. When we planned our trip, we only booked flight and hotel before we left Denmark. The plan we had was see the sights on our own and rent a car. As I decribed we got contacted in the airport by a travelagency that planned the first 3 days for us and thats how we got in contact with Ahmed. The reasson I have been writting about Ahmed is that, we had a fantastic time and if others can have such a great time as we had, I only want to help them. How do you recommend a tour guide? You give as mush information as possible about him, so that people know what kind of person you deal with. If you still believe that this is Ahmed himself writting, you are welcome to contact me on [email protected] Sorry for my syntax and spelling, Im danish and we do speak a little bit different, but Im doing my best ;o)
Old Mar 4th, 2006, 09:04 AM

Alfie2 -

I am sorry if several of us have mistaken your obvious respect for this tour guide as a "self promotion" advertisement on his part. I am happy that you found a guide who made your trip enjoyable. Egypt is a fabulous country and deserves to be enjoyed to its fullest.

I don't know much research you did before going to Egypt, but your comments lead me to belive you were not fully prepared for the experience.

While seeing Cairo on your own without the use of a guide or travel agency is quite doable (you can take taxis anwhere you want to go), I don't know ANYONE who arrives in Cairo expecting to rent a car! The driving in Cairo is the most dangerous aspect of any trip to that wonderful city! We lived there for 4 years and had our own car but - with the exception of the pyramds - if we went ANYWHERE downtown, we hired a driver. I do have several friends who used to drive downtown themselves, but we didn't - it was just too stressful.

Tour guides abound in Egypt, and my understanding is (sandi would know better) that ALL official tour guides have degrees in Egyptology. And all professional guides have contacts with hotels, cruise lines, shop keepers, etc to help plan your trip. Personally, I wouldn't hire a tour guide who approached me at the airport, but maybe I'm overly cautious/suspect.

I am happy you found someone you liked, but I think you would have had a more positive response to your posting if you had talked more about your trip - what you liked, where you stayed, what you did, what worked, what didn't work.

Mentioning that you had a guide and that you liked him very much would have been enough to get the attention of anyone looking for a guide - then anyone interested could have posted a question asking for more details.
Old Mar 12th, 2006, 05:54 AM

Do you think waking up to a view of the pyramids of Giza is something you might like? Or sitting on your balcony in the evening with a glass of wine and watching the lights from the Sound and Light show shine on the pyramids or beautiful lush grounds in your hotel appealing? Then I must suggest the Mena House. Type Mena House in the search and see the comments. We wanted peace and tranquility in the evenings after touring during the day & a romantic place and this place was wonderful... the views in particular.