Extending safari due to BA strike

Mar 12th, 2010, 03:52 AM
Original Poster

Extending safari due to BA strike

We are staying at Rattrays, MalaMala for 4 nights from Wednesday next week. Due to fly back on Sunday to the UK with BA - but they will probably be on strike and we may need to stay 3 more days! What would you do? Stay on at MM (if available) or move to a nearby camp. We don't want to travel far as this will waste time. Any suggestions of lodges and possible ways to transfer welcome.
thanks
Barb
Mar 12th, 2010, 07:18 AM

I think Mala Mala probably has the best game viewing overall. You may want to look at Simbambilli which I believe has a high concentration of leopards.
Mar 12th, 2010, 08:54 AM

I would stay put. But depending on budget you may need to downgrade or you might want to try something different and do Singita or Leopard Hills.

Lovely problem to have, stuck at Rattrays for three extra days.

If you see Gordon (one of the rangers) tell him Matt and Elka say hi.
Mar 12th, 2010, 01:09 PM

Sure stay at MM. There are several other camps in Sabi Sand that would be an easy vehicle shuttle/transfer to. Easiest way to list them would be to show this map of Sabi Sand.
http://tinyurl.com/y97s4dl
Also note the Timabavati reserve above Sabi Sand. Kings Camp is one of my favorites up there but will require a short charter flight, $300 per couple. And that might mess up your flight reservations back to JNB.

regards - tom
Mar 12th, 2010, 01:22 PM

I guess it's confirmed that British Airways cabin crew will be taking industrial action March 20 - 22 and 27-30, 2010

BA says: In the event of a strike:
• Flights from London City (LCY) to and from New York (JFK) will operate as normal and any changes to bookings on these flights are subject to the original fare rules.
• All longhaul flights to and from London Gatwick will continue to operate normally and any changes to bookings on these flights are subject to the original fare rules.
• For all other flights (LHR and short-haul LGW), until we finalise our flying schedule, if you are booked to travel March 19 –31, 2010, you have the choice of rebooking or cancelling and obtaining a refund.
Mar 12th, 2010, 04:50 PM

Is lucky you appropriate?
Mar 13th, 2010, 11:34 AM

we stayed at rattrays two years ago and it is amazing. stunning and only 4 to a vehicle. we saw main camp which was two large for us. i would either stay put (safari paradise) or go up to timbavati ngala or to mopoulonga and stay at honeguide which is not fancy, but very comfortable and we had great time there. you could call them directly.

enjoy,
bonnie

Search this Thread