Search

Volunteering in Ghana

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18th, 2005, 10:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Volunteering in Ghana

I am considering going to Ghana with Cross Cultural Solutions. Has anyone any experience with this organization and, in particular, with its program in Ghana? Do you have any thoughts about spending 5 weeks there especially for a college aged female? Thank you in advance for any help you can give me in helping me make a decision.
Old Dec 19th, 2005, 03:22 AM

I can tell you that Ghana is a beautiful country with some of the friendliest people I have ever met on the road. But for info on the organisation you mention and tips on visiting the country as other than a tourist you might do better to visit the Thorn Tree.

That's the Lonely Planet forum.

www.lonelyplanet.com

Old Dec 20th, 2005, 05:26 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the suggestion. Iwill do that.
Old Dec 26th, 2005, 07:18 AM

I spent this past summer in Ghana with Cross Cultural Solutions, and I am also a college aged female. I really can't say enough good things about my experiences there. The CCS program has 2 locations in Ghana, 1 in Ho (which is the capitol of the Volta Region), and 1 and Woe (pronounced Way, which is a small village on the coast in the Keta District, about an hour and a half from the border with Togo). I was working on the maternity ward in a small, government run hospital in Keta for a month. I really enjoyed my time in Ghana, and felt very safe with CCS in charge. The staff in Ghana are all locals and they're all wonderful. I really enjoyed being in Woe, as it felt more like a culturally rich experience than being in the bigger city of Ho. CCS provides food and safe water, and they really look after you. Overall I was very impressed with the organization, and wouldn't hesitate to go on another trip with them.
Old Jan 9th, 2006, 10:45 AM
Original Poster

I appreciate the information. My parents are a bit nervous about such a trip and your help means alot to me.
Thanks so much
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 01:14 PM

NY1002 - I too have been researching volunteer opportunities in Ghana (and also have parents nervous about me going!) Because I can only take off a limited time from work, I have been considering going with the Institue for Field Research Expeditions Program (IFRE). By chance have you heard anything about them?
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 07:00 PM

Ghana is a wonderful country with wonderful people. I was there Dec 2003/Jan 2004 and Dec 2004/Jan 2005. Type in Ghana in the "Search" box and click and you'll find a lot of info on Ghana. Go on travelpod.com and type in "Hooktravellers" and you'll see a great travel story written by one of the posters on this forum whom I helped, last year, to plan her and her family's trip. Happy Travels!
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 02:05 PM
Original Poster

Mugsjones- I am not familiar with IFRE, but I will research them. Thanks for the tip.