Egypt sightseeing

Apr 9th, 2004, 07:05 PM
Original Poster

Egypt sightseeing

Hi

How easy / hard is it for a person of limited mobility doing a walking tour of the temples, sites etc in Egypt as part of a tour group?

Are there many steps and hills to access sites or is it fairly even paced?

Thanks
Apr 9th, 2004, 08:21 PM

At certain sites, such as the various tombs, you will have difficulties navigating the stairways. The pyramids, if you just look at them from the outside you will be fine. Temples, most of them the bus or boat will take you to the entrance and you should be ok. There was one temple, I think it was either Edfu or Esna that you do have to climb down quite a few flight of stairs to see the temple.

Enjoy Egypt!
Apr 10th, 2004, 04:51 AM
sandi

Hanuman - it's the temple at Esna that is "down in the hole" - because the current town and any before have been built one upon another. And those steps can be trecherous. But is one of the few temples with its' roof still intact! Got some great photos of those varied column capitals!

freddofrog04 - there is some uneven ground around, but these can be navigated carefully with little problem, especially around the pyramids. At the Sphinx, the space getting in/out is kind of tight, but you can get views even if not right on top of this. We got some great photos from outside the complex.

One thing we noticed in Egypt was that most sites had "entrances" but no separate "exit" - they were one and the same. At some sites they seemed to be putting in separate exits - but you come into bottlenecks when people are attempting to get in and others getting out.

As Hanuman mentioned, some of the tombs have steps going in/out, others have sloping ramps in/out, so care has to be taken. And then there is long ramp at the Temple of Queen Hatshepsut at Valley of K&Q.

If you have problems walking, one of those aluminum "collapsible cane/chairs" is good to take with you. This will help with the uneven ground, and a place to rest. Hope this information helps.

Apr 10th, 2004, 09:56 AM

Another thing to consider is distance from parking to temple/site. In some places it is very close, in others it is not.

Also, some bathrooms are not very accessible at all - if you are on a bus and it has a bathroom, stairs are sometimes involved. At 2 sites (sorry - don't remember which), bathrooms involved narrow metal stairs.
But bathrooms in Egypt are not all that great to begin with, and many people try to wait for hotel to use facilities.

Since I work with those with disabilities, I remember coming back to work and saying how difficult it would be for those in wheelchairs to see much of Egypt - but if you have some ability to walk, it could be manageable.
Apr 10th, 2004, 10:12 AM

Unfortunately - Eygpt is not an easy place for those with disabilities. There are few/no street-corner ramps for wheelchairs, and there are only a few at the major sites. And the sidewalks and walkways can be treachorous for those of us with "good" mobility!

Just some thoughts....

At the Giza pyramides, try a carriage ride to take you around the sites. I have not done this myself, but a friend did this for her visiting mother (with limited mobility) and it worked quite well.

In the VK - many of the tombs are accessible by sloping ramps. One (I think it is Seti I) is only accessible by a steep set of steps up the tomb entrance. Most of these should be okay if you take it very easy.

As mentioned above, Hatshepsut's Temple has a long ramp, but it is a pretty even slope - and is worth the effort!

As also mentioned, the buses often leave you quite a distance from the main entrance to sites. A small folding chair (I've seen Boy Scouts with them) might be handy.

May 3rd, 2004, 01:12 PM

In Luxor, to visit all the tombs is a ton of walking, and every one has steps down to it or inside. The temples have many steps and lot's of uneven ground. In Cairo all the sidewalks are uneven, and there would be no way to go inside the pyramids. I'm 40 and in reasonable shape but it was still a workout for me. I loved Egypt and would go back again, but I think it would be hard to navigate for a person with limited mobility.
May 7th, 2004, 01:09 PM

I think it would depend on how limited your mobility is. I would definitely discuss this with your tour company. It is certainly true that there is uneven, broken pavement and many levels just about everywhere you go. However on one tour I took (that included a 2-week Nile cruise) a very elderly woman often stayed on the boat and said she enjoyed the trip very much. She got much pleasure from sailing quietly on the Nile and seeing those sites that are visible from it. You might see if the tour company could furnish a wheel chair -- and if someone with you could push it, you could certainly see more. I have found the Egyptian people to be caring and accommodating. They may not have ramps for the handicapped, but they have people willing to carry wheel chairs over bumps in the road. If it is your burning passion to see Egypt, do not deny yourself. I think you would get enough out of the trip to make it worthwhile. Hope this helps.

Search this Thread