Search

Egypt: Alt Luxor

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10th, 2019, 11:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Egypt: Alt Luxor

I'm starting to make plans for our next trip to Egypt. There will be a couple days in Luxor. We've seen all the major sites - Luxor, Karnak, VOK, Hapshepsut, Medinat Habu, Collosi.

Are there any other sites worth visiting that aren't on the "must see" list - interesting but unpopular?

I'm thinking one day for the Seti Temple and Habu (we didn't get enough time) with lunch near Habu.

It doesn't have to be ancient, either. We visited a alabaster factory, which was fun. handcraft workshops would be cool to visit.

We stayed at the Winter Palace and spending a day hanging out there drinking mint & lemon all day wouldn't be bad, either.

Any recommendations?
Old Apr 10th, 2019, 02:12 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
Have you visited Howard Carter's house on the West Bank? I'm sure you know he's the discoverer of Tutankhamun's tomb and spent some time living in this house, very near Hatshepsut's temple. I love visiting houses, find them infinitely more interesting than monuments. I visited several in Cairo but this is the only such opportunity I know of around Luxor. Other than a family sitting in the garden, I was the only visitor while I was there. Here's my personal blog on the subject:
https://www.travelgumbo.com/blog/in-...carter-s-house

Last edited by MmePerdu; Apr 10th, 2019 at 02:14 PM.
Old Apr 10th, 2019, 02:18 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MmePerdu
Have you visited Howard Carter's house on the West Bank? I'm sure you know he's the discoverer of Tutankhamun's tomb and spent some time living in this house, very near Hatshepsut's temple. I love visiting houses, find them infinitely more interesting than monuments. I visited several in Cairo but this is the only such opportunity I know of around Luxor. Other than a family sitting in the garden, I was the only visitor while I was there. Here's my personal blog on the subject:
https://www.travelgumbo.com/blog/in-...carter-s-house
Yes, we've been to the Carter house and yes it was really interesting. The replica of Tut's tomb was cool, too. We had the place to ourselves as well and that was a surprise. I would have thought more people would visit the place. It is kinda important. I'll check your blog.

Afterwards: I wondered how Carter managed in a place like his. A nice house, by any standard, the summer sun would have made living a challenge. We were there in late April and it was 110 degrees. It was rough. I suppose you get used to the heat, but still …..

Last edited by idlechater; Apr 10th, 2019 at 02:33 PM.
Old Apr 12th, 2019, 05:53 AM

Have you been to the Valley of the Queens and the Valley of the Nobles? I particularly enjoyed the latter. In the Valley of the Queens, it's possible (for a high price ... about US$70) to visit Nefertari's tomb (QV66) I also particularly enjoyed the Luxor Museum, which has some of the better pieces found in the area.
Old Apr 12th, 2019, 05:59 AM

And when you say the "Seti Temple" are you referring to the temple of Seti I in Abydos? Yes, that's definitely worth a day. It's a longish drive but well worth it. The Temple of Hathor in Dendera (Qena) is a bit closer to Luxor, so you might be able to stop there on the way back if you visit Abydos.
Old Apr 12th, 2019, 08:29 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
I, too, enjoyed the Luxor Museum, had thought to mention it then forgot, a nice walk from town along the river.
Several photos taken there in this one: https://www.travelgumbo.com/blog/in-egypt-around-luxor