Search

First time in Egypt

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2002, 07:42 PM
Aarti

First time in Egypt

Hi all. My husband and I are planning to visit Egypt in december. I want to know whether 1, Is december a good time to go? 2, what is/are the best luxury resort/hotels to stay? 3, are there any cruises on the nile for short durations- like 2 days and has anyone been on them? Since this will be our first time, any other useful tip or information will be helpful and appreciated. <BR>Tnx, Aarti

Old May 11th, 2002, 11:34 AM
Al

Hi, Don't know about the weather in Dec., but just returned from Egypt 5/8. Weather was beautiful, hot days cool nights. We stayed at the Ramses Hilton in Cairo. It's rated 5 star. Nice hotel, but the Nile Hilton is right around the corner and is a newer hotel with not so many traffic problems. I toured the nile on the HS Radimis I. Nice ship, older, but the food and staff were excellent. We cruised from Aswan to Luxor. Everyone was very friendly, and we never heard a negative comment from anyone. Remember don't drink the water, and no unpeeled fruit or fresh vegetables till you become aclimated, usually 4 or 5 days. Even then be very careful, and don't buy opened containers of juice from vendors. Ever!! Sharm El Sheikh is an excellent high end resort area. We stayed at the Ritz Carlton as part of our tour. Beautiful hotel, but food and drinks very expensive. Naama bay which is a small tourist town is much better for entertainment and shopping.

Old May 11th, 2002, 08:30 PM
Aarti

Hi Al. Thank you for your feedback. Just a few questions, what kind of clothing do you recommend-are the people conservative or shorts and t- shirts will do?, <BR>-Is Sharm El sheikh a sea-side resort? <BR>- Is a cruise on the nile a definite yes-yes or nothing great?<BR><BR>Suggestions appreciated. Thanks once again.

Old May 12th, 2002, 03:21 AM
gail

There was a rather animated discussion some months back about clothing in Egypt - try a search. A brief synopsis, it was divided between the majority (including me) who advised more conservative clothing than in US - for women, looser capri or full length pants, looser cotton tops with at least cap sleeves; for men, full length light cotton pants, etc. in deference both to culture and sun. There was another equally vocal group of opinions that reported tourists could "get away with" far more revealing fashions. Have never been to Sharm, but I have heard it is more relaxed about clothing<BR><BR>I would not miss Nile cruise if you can afford time and money - just standing on top deck and watching farmers who could have been from thousands of years ago riding donkey and using hand tools was worth it. While cruises I have seen advertised are all 3-4 days, the river boat does not actually sail the whole time. The locks on the Nile are another great experience as local kids sell stuff to the boat - throwing them up on deck and negotiating from little rowboats. You throw the money down in little film containers and it amazed me how much trust was involved in the transaction as you got the stuff before you paid for it.

Old May 12th, 2002, 05:58 AM
Dianne

Hi,<BR><BR>I was in Egypt at that time of year in 1995. It's good sightseeing weather, but cooler than I expected, especially at night and early morning. I had only brought a cotton summer jacket with no lining and it wasn't enough. We also had some very warm afternoons, so pack a variety of clothes. As a 30-something female, the only place I felt comfortable in shorts was on the Nile cruise.<BR><BR>As far as I know, the shortest cruise is 3 nights. I've stayed at the Mena House hotel and the Marriott in Cairo, the Hilton in Luxor, and the Oberoi in Aswan. All were good.<BR><BR>I recommend staying at least a couple of nights in Luxor. There is so much to see in that area. You won't have enough time if you only allow the time the cruise gives in Luxor. There are 2 major temples in town, the museum, more temples across the Nile, the tombs of the Kings, Queens, and Nobles, etc.<BR><BR>I highly recommend going to the Winter Palace hotel, ordering a cold karkaday (hibiscus tea), sitting out on the terrace facing the Nile and watching the sunset. It's perfect.

Old May 12th, 2002, 08:10 AM
Al

HI, In Cairo people are fairly conservative. Especially in Mosques. We dressed not to offend, this means no shorts or sleeveless shirts. That's not to say we didn't see them, but it's generally not acceptable attire. Sharm El Sheikh is a seaside resort area on the Red Sea. Very Trendy and westernized. Attire there is as little as possible to suits. We Stayed at the Ritz Carlton, right on ocean. Not much beach, but beautiful resort. Supposedly most expensive too., Published room rates start at 260.00 US per night all the way to 2400.00 US depending on type of room. NIle cruises are definitely worth the time and money. THe Nile is not very wide or deep, therefore the ships only have around 75 or 80 cabins. We sailed from Aswan to Luxor, and it was very interesting. THe people are all very friendly and can't do enough to please you. Food was excellent also. THe exchange rate when we went was 4.56 LE to 1 US. Internet Cafes are very readily accessible throughout the Nile river valley, and in Cairo and Sharm. ATM's also not a problem. Any other ?s just email. You'll just love Sharm I'm sure.