Durban to Cape Town Road Trip

Sep 29th, 2019, 11:12 PM
Original Poster

Durban to Cape Town Road Trip

We leave for South Africa in just over three weeks time. It is our first time in the country but my wife and I are veterans of several road trips through Asia, South America, Australia and New Zealand. Details of some of those trips can be found on or blog @ https://accidentalnomads.com .

We fly from the U.K. on Emirates via Dubai into Durban from LGW and out of Cape Town to LHR in mid December.

After much deliberation, planning and a great deal of help from South Africa forum members ( thanks!). The itinerary is now (almost) complete, accommodation booked (mostly)for our 45 day road trip from Durban to Cape Town and is eat out below.

KWAZULU NATAL

Durban 3
St Lucia 4
Hluhluwe-iMfolozi NP 2
Umhulanga 1
Underberg ( for Sani Pass & Lesotho) 2

DRAKENSBERG MOUNTAINS
Here we are almost circumnavigating Lesotho and staying in the following places;

Giants Castle 1
Thendele NP 3
Clarens & Golden Gate NP 2
Maloti Drakensberg Route (Smithfield) 1

EASTERN CAPE

Somerset 2
Addo NP 3 (Nyathi Rest Camp 2 + nearby 1)

ROUTE 62/GARDEN ROUTE

Plettenberg Bay 3
Oudtshoorn 2
Prince Albert 1 (via Meringspoort Pass)
Groenfontein Valley 2 (via Swartberg Pass)
Barrydale 2

WINELANDS

Stellenbosch 1/2

WESTERN CAPE

Tulbagh 1
Paternoster 2
Cape Point 1/2
Cape Town 7

We are staying for shorter periods in each place than we would normally, partly because there is just so much to pack in and partly because we fully intend to return another day.

We have chosen not to include stays at any game lodges this time, partly to keep a lid on costs and partly because we have done that before in other parts of Africa. Our primary reason though is because we had heard great things about self driving game viewing in the National Parks and are really looking forward to that aspect of our trip.

We are renting our car from Avis U.K. whom we have used them many times before in various parts of the the world and been generally been happy with their service and prices. I got an exceptional deal this time using a combination of sale offer from Avis and TopCashback which provided a further 20% cash back. I booked the top range non 4WD car on the basis that due to our "Preferred Status" in their loyalty programme, we normally get upgraded a couple of levels (of course this is bound to be the one time it doesn’t happen!). I was quite shocked at the difference in rates between 2WD and 4WD

Most accomodation has been pre- booked via booking.com or direct with the accommodation. Stays in the National Parks were booked direct with San Parks and KZN Wildlife.

What I found unusual compared with our travels elsewhere in the world is that most places seem to have fairly onerous booking conditions e.g. free cancellation is only possible up to a couple of weeks before arrival and many required either full, or 50% payment on booking. Not sure why this is? Perhaps just a country specific custom or maybe they get lots of no shows.

Apart from National Park stays we have mostly gone for smaller B& B type accomodation or self catering rather than full on hotels. We particularly like the fact that many B&Bs also have basic food prep facilities. On a long trip, eating out can get both expensive and repetitive. Home cooking is something we love to do on all our longer trips.

I am sure I have made mistakes in my planning ( it won’t be the first time!) , but I think we will just have to live with any that do crop up along the way.

We will be posting on our blog about our travels in South Africa and, if time and WiFi permits, here as well will. I will try and review places we eat and stay at as we go on TA.

As I said earlier, I have gained an incredible amount of useful information on these forums, if I can repay that in any way by answering any questions etc., please ask away.
Sep 30th, 2019, 04:17 PM

Looking forward to the TR. Hope you have a great trip!
Sep 30th, 2019, 07:37 PM

Looking forward to visiting some new places and reliving others with you. I hope you enjoy Cape Town as much as I did.
Oct 7th, 2019, 06:15 AM

This looks like an amazing trip. If you like Wine and Brandy then you could probably spend a lot more time in Stellenbosch. There is a generous amount of wine farms within a 20 km range of the town, and also the Van Ryn brandy distillery. If you want to venture a little further out then there's also a Cheetah sanctuary and Craft beer distillery in Somerset West. But they're still easily in reach from Cape Town where you guys are spending a week. The Addo Elephant Park will be a great way to catch some of the local fauna.

Enjoy!
Oct 10th, 2019, 11:22 AM

Looking forward to your report/blog. Have a great trip!
Oct 10th, 2019, 10:56 PM

Yes, I'm also very keen to see how your trip goes.
Oct 10th, 2019, 11:55 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all. This is the longest period we have gone without travelling in the last 12 years. Beyond excited!