Search

Drive to Londolozi???

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12th, 2004, 07:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drive to Londolozi???

Hello all!
I just booked last minute at Londolozi Safari Lodge. Sad to say that transfers from Nelspruit/Kruger Int'l are not included in the price. I've been offered an air price of $470 (USD) for two, or a road price of $287 (USD) for two. However, based on my research, I can rent a car for about $118 USD, (Mercedes Benz) for the entire stay (3 days). So the question is, should we drive it, or be chauffeured? Any input, as always, will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance!
P.S.
We don?t mind a bit of adventure, but are unsure about roads, parking, etc.
Old Oct 12th, 2004, 12:08 PM
sandi

First of all, if you rent the Merc, realize that it will sit for three days as you won't be able to use it for game drives. The car will sit at the car park at the lodge and that will be it.

Besides, I can't believe that $118 is for 3-days and includes all the insurance that you need - amount just doesn't sound right.

Friends who were living in SA a few years back decided to drive their own MB to Kruger which was no problem, but by the time they got to Singita and out of the reserve back to blacktop at the end of their stay, the car had to go in for full detailing once back in Sandton (JNB).

Let someone else do the driving.

Old Oct 12th, 2004, 02:54 PM
Original Poster

Hello Sandi,
Yup, $118 for 3 days--my World Master Card covers the insurance equal to the amount of the car, so I don't need to purchase add'l. Thanks for weighing in!
Old Oct 12th, 2004, 06:06 PM

MissingMN,

If you really want to get us Americans salivating, share with us the last minute rates for a South African staying at Londolozi.
Old Oct 13th, 2004, 11:44 AM

The special deals are avaiable to anyone - not just SA residents. I got a similar deal last August. We just phoned CC Africa when we arrived in SA ...
Old Oct 13th, 2004, 05:01 PM
Original Poster

Yes, Philw is correct. I am American, and had no trouble booking the last min. deal (1500 ZAR per person/per night). However, the anxiety leading up to the booking was more than a notion! Still, we would not have been able to do a safari at the rack rates listed for places we were interested in. So we were willing to settle for whatever was available. In the end, we got something wonderful! Now if we can only figure out how to get there without giving back the money we saved!