Drive from Victoria Falls to Windhoek

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18th, 2005, 11:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts

We were going over our plans for Southern Africa in August with some S. African friends and they recommended renting a car at Victoria Falls and driving via Chobe to Windhoek via the Caprivi strip. He said the drop fee for the car is not high.

Anyone done this or looked into it? Trying to get a feel for road time, overnight locations, etc. Most of my web search results are for safari companies who want to make a 14-day thing out of it; we have more like 4-6 days. Doable? Any advice welcome and thanks as usual.
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 12:21 AM
Fil

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
we did Wke- Vic Falls- Wke, last December.
It was a very nice trip. at the time i find expensive to pay only one way rent a car.
here by my trip report:

My trip report must be short because my English is not very good.
We flight to Windhoek and rent a car (4x4). We should have rent a tourism, because the car was very expensive and the roads are very good – it was not necessary to rent a 4x4..
We drove around 1400 km to reach Victoria Falls.
Our itinerary:
a) Wke- Rundu – 715km – sleeps in a very nice lodge in the Okanvango River (N´Kwazi Lodge- Rundu)
b) Rundo – Namushasha Lodge – 400 km – lodge in the Kwando River – very nice.
c)Namushasha – Katima Mulilo – King´s Den Lodge – very nice lodge in the Chobe River. (200km drive). This lodge is not very exclusive, but has the better location of all others, because the rooms are almost in the water. We saw hippos around our room and elephants were not far away in the other side of the river.
d) Chobe- Mowana Lodge (15 minutes on boat from King´s Den Lodge). Also a nice lodge (like Chobe Marina Lodge, but more quiet)
e) Chobe – Vic Falls – Victoria Falls Safari Lodge – very nice also. I was happy to see that there are lot´s of people there, and also in the other hotels around Vic falls. We drove safely and walk in the village without problems. We also cross the bridge and visit Zambia and Royal Livingstone Hotel.
Return
f) Vic Falls – Maun (Botswana) – the only place that we didn´t find a nice place to stay
g) Maun – Windhoek (we stay in Wke Country Club)

Old Feb 21st, 2005, 07:22 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Fil. Sounds great.

What car agency did you use in Windhoek? Did they have an office in Victoria Falls (Zimbabwe side?) Thanks.
Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 04:52 AM
Fil

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We used Caprivi Car Hire. It´s quite expensive - we pay 900 Rands/ day for a Toyota Hilux (double cab). This rent a car used to put a signal in speed limit, so if you go over the limit, the car makes an awful noise. The agency didn´t told us anything about it...

When I was preparing my trip, I could not find a rent a car in Vic Falls (they have a big problem with gasoil..
If you rent a car in Wke and you want to drop it in Zim, it will cost you a lot. I asked Avis prices, and I find it quite expensive.

If we fly to Vic Falls you can spend 2 days there, then 2 days in Chobe, and if have more time you can visit Caprivi area and also Zambia.

All this places are in short distances, so, you don’t need to have car, we can ask for transfers in the hotel.
Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 05:55 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again.