Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Do you thing it's safe to visit Bethlehem, Jericho, Hebron and Qumran?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26th, 2006, 01:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

I'm going to Israel next January and would like to know if it's safe to visit Bethlehem, Jericho, Hebron, Qumran, in other words, the Dead Sea region. If you think I should go visiting these places, what's the best way? Bus? Sherut? Or try to join an excursion group? In this case, where do I find these groups in Jerusalem?

Thanks,

John
Old Nov 26th, 2006, 03:43 AM

One cannot know in this region what will be tomorrow, never mind in two months!

As of now:
1. Bethlehem is no problem. 1/2 day trip from Jerusalem by sherut from the Old City.
2. Jericho and Hebron depend entirely on the political news of the day. Ask at your hotel on any day that you might want to travel to one of those towns. In general Jericho is quiet and no problem but Hebron has some SERIOUS difficulties at times.

Qumran is not a town or a village. It is the site of the Qumran caves where the Dead Sea Scrolls were discovered. The Scrolls themselves are in the Shrine of the Book at the Jerusalem Museum. The Caves can be visited either by private car or organized tour with Egged or United.

Think that I already gave you the links to both of those, yes?

The Qumran Scrolls are in the Dead Sea area, yes. Bethlehem is a 15 minute drive from Jerusalem. Jericho and Hebron in the West Bank - depending on who you talk to that is...
Old Nov 26th, 2006, 01:40 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again unaS!

I'll try to call Egged when I get to Jerusalem or maybe look for a "private" guide at www.tour-guides.co.il

John
Old Nov 26th, 2006, 09:46 PM

If I can just add my two cents worth -- we went to Bethlehem last week (we're living in Jerusalem for a few months) and went with someone who speaks Arabic and knows his way around. I HIGHLY recommend not going in alone. Not for any specific danger, but YOU will feel much better and have a better experience overall. We had quite a long wait at the wall checkpoint, going back into Israel, due to a car ahead of us being thouroughly checked out, and they had diplomatic plates! In general, once they see you're American, eveything's OK!
Old Nov 26th, 2006, 10:28 PM

That tour guide site is new to me, thanks.
WHAT an opening page though ?!?

I do agree with PalmettoMel that any trip in this historic country is better with a good, licensed guide that can help you appreciate and enjoy what you are seeing.