do you suggest travel insurance?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21st, 2006, 07:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have put together our family trip very quickly (huge thanks to this board and specifically to Selwyn!!). We leave in less than 3 weeks and I am just now paying for the balance of our trip. Should I purchase travel insurance??? We have travelled a lot but I have never bought travel insurance before. Just wondered what your thoughts were on this.
Old Jun 21st, 2006, 08:16 PM

Yes. Hopefully you won't need it, but you never know. We've traveled for years without purchasing insurance, but will never do so again.

Last month, after we had left for our trip to Europe, I tore my ACL. We did not have travel insurance, so decided to continue with our trip, rather than come home and loose all our money. I managed to complete the trip, and enjoyed most of it, but it was a difficult trip. We have another trip to Africa planned for September. Fortunately we have travel insurance for that trip. I'm having surgery tomorrow to repair the ACL and am hoping to be well enough in 2 months time to travel, but rest much easier knowing I can cancel, if necessary, without loosing the investment.

My grandmother used to say, "Penny wise and pound foolish."
Old Jun 21st, 2006, 08:33 PM

I've purchased travel insurance for both my trips to Africa, never bought it before when traveling. In one camp our bags were stolen (later recovered) but were able to file a claim for transit to the embassy, 7 hour taxi ride to meet our flight from our final destination and loss of one night at a different camp. The claim more than made up for the cost of the insurance. You never know if you'll need it, but if you do, it's good to have.
Old Jun 21st, 2006, 09:22 PM

This is third time I've tried to post answer. One more try...
If you have less than 3 weeks - you've rolled the dice already, so could just purchase the medical insurance and evacuation coverage for the trip only (e.g. no cancellation or delay insurance). There's a few companies that offer it, and Specialty Risk International has one. Think there's another company called Medex which offers it. Much less to cover medical and evacuation instead of full policy.
Consider the age of travelers if there's potential risks within these few weeks. Could sway your decision.
Old Jun 21st, 2006, 10:00 PM

Hi:

I broke my ankle less then three weeks prior to my trip. I am very happy I have travel insurance.

Bruce
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 03:22 AM

Hi trvlcrzy,

Yes!

When you think of the cost of a trip, and with a family going, consider what may happen not just before you go, but while you are all there! The cost is nothing compared to the cost of the trip.

I always have it and I have never used, which to me is great!

Kind regards,
Kaye
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 04:06 PM

Trvlcrzy,

Absolutely get the travel insurance. A couple of years ago, after arriving in Africa I found myself in the hospital requiring surgery. Needless to say the safari was off and without the insurance we would have lost a lot of money. I thought I was totally healthy so really surprised when this happened. The lesson is you never know and when you have to pay for everything up front it is better to be safe than sorry. Buy the travel insurance and have a great time!