Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Do you find it annoying when companies won't quote rates online?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22nd, 2008, 07:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 33 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm starting to investigate a trip to Egypt and feel frustrated that so many of the companies (in this case, for a Nile cruise) won't tell you HOW MUCH IT COSTS. What's the big secret? Why do they insist that you send them a request before they'll tell you how much it costs? Am I just looking in the wrong places? Thoughts?
Old Feb 22nd, 2008, 08:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I do find it annoying and I do not deal with those people. Period.
Jess
Old Feb 22nd, 2008, 11:46 AM

Rates can vary according to the time of year, itineraries, and number of people traveling. Some of the larger group-tour companies such as Overseas Adventure Travel do post their costs, though.
Old Feb 22nd, 2008, 01:24 PM

I understand that prices will vary based on the time of year, the size of the group, how many nights you're staying in a single place, etc., and so people don't want to post exact prices on their websites. (And not posting rates means you don't have to update the website as often.) But it is really frustrating how hard it can be to determine an accurate price range for some things and make a budget for your trip. I've found this particularly frustrating when trying to compare lodging in Africa. It would be so helpful to at least know the general price range of different camps and lodges, so we could compare "apples to apples," and perhaps figure out where we could save money in some places and splurge in others. I was eventually able to determine this when planning my trip to East Africa last year, but it required a LOT of e-mailing back and forth with my safari operators, and many of the rates I did find online were not accurate. So, I understand your frustration.
Old Feb 22nd, 2008, 01:37 PM

I agree with most of the above, especially MDK. I like to have at least a "ball park" idea of what something is going to cost. When they don't provide any such info, I usually ignore them and they may have lost my business.

regards - tom
ps - maybe their approach is like Rolls-Royce. If you have to know the price of the car, you can't afford one.