Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

do i need to leave prescription in their original containers?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6th, 2007, 05:37 PM
jnk
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i've read some conflicting information on this board regarding whether or not prescriptions have to be in their containers or if i can just put everything in a ziploc to save room. we're going to tanzania.

if you've been to tanzania in the past few months, can you please advise? thank you.
Old Apr 6th, 2007, 07:09 PM

I haven't been to Tanzania but prescription drugs will be allowed on aircraft if it matches the passenger's name.

Therefore, you won't be able to combine them together in a ziplock.

What you can do is take the pills back to your Pharmacy. Ask them to put the # you require for the trip in the smallest vial avail. and put the official Pharmacy label on it.

Or you can get a pack of multiple sized mini ziplocks from the Dollar Store & if the Pharmacy is willing, they could label the little ziplocks for you. That would be a huge space saver!
Old Apr 6th, 2007, 10:09 PM
jnk
Original Poster

thank you for the info -- will leave them in their original containers.

we leave for the airport in 12 hours!!!
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 12:41 PM

I know you've left already but just for future reference, I haven't had TSA, EU security, or Tanzanian customs question a few prescription drugs in a ziploc bag or other small unlabeled container. I could see it posing a problem if you had large quantities.
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 01:12 PM

Like Patty, I've never had my prescription drugs questioned anywhere. Whether in those sectioned pill boxes, or all tossed into one large script bottle with my name on it. While my pills are mostly in small containers, it's just too many "small containers" to pack. It's one thing when these remain in one place while at home, but when traveling, it's just easier to keep track of one bottle or box.
Old Apr 11th, 2007, 04:25 AM

When we travel, I take number small zip locked plastic bags bought through (I think) Travel Smith. I put each days/nights prescriptions/vitamins mixed in each bag and then take a copy of each label (drugstore prints them out) along. Have been stopped once and the TSA guy said he had never seen it before and thought it was great.