Search

Photography Help

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 12:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Photography Help

I just know that someone out there can answer my question! We're in the process of purchasing a digital camera for our safari in Sept. What strength lense should we get? Any additional suggestions would be welcomed. Thanks
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 01:28 PM

Received 17 Likes on 1 Post
Jann - are you getting digital SLR or a smaller "point and shoot"?
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 05:37 PM
Original Poster

Sundowner, We're getting the digital SLR. The cameras we're looking at range from 3X to 8X.
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 06:06 PM

Received 17 Likes on 1 Post
Jann - I would personally prefer a camera that zooms to 300mm for Africa.

One camera with 8x that is 280mm is the Nikon Coolpix 5700. The main problem I find with that camera is the v-e-r-y s-l-o-w in focus and shutter lag. There is a long period of time between when you push the button and when the picture is taken. You may not get the picture that was there when you pushed the button. If you can practice and get used to this by really anticipating the shot you'll be okay. In other respects this is a great camera. The pictures are excellent and you have a broad range of features and settings.

As mentioned on other posts on this forum, you can go to a website dpreview.com. That is digital photography review and they have an in depth review on most digital cameras of all brands. They also have opinions of users. At this website under the category "buyers guide" they have a side by side comparison. If you are considering 3 cameras you can choose those 3 and it will pull up the specs so you can compare apples to apples on every feature.

Whichever camera you buy, find one at a store (even if you buy online somewhere) and test it out. Practice focusing up close and far away. Notice how long it takes to be able to take the next picture.

I'm not familiar with other cameras of this type so I don't know if others have the same "slowness". There certainly aren't many cameras that have the same features and zoom ability that this one does.

I did buy this camera for my safari (I leave Tuesday!) and used it on a couple of trips and around the house and realized it won't do what I want. My main goal of the trip to Africa this year is to get awesome pictures. I ended up buying a different camera - a Canon 10D. You have to buy the lenses separately for the 10D but this camera is in a different class altogether. If photography wasn't my goal, I think the Coolpix 5700 would be a good camera for the trip.

Good luck!
Cindy
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 06:10 PM

Jann,

I don't know if you have had a chance to see my online photo album from my 2002 and 2003 Southern Africa trips (South Africa, Zimbabwe and Zambia). Every photo was taken with my standard Sony DSC-F707 Cybershot digital camera that is equipped with a 5x optical zoom lens.

The lens was good enough in most cases but in a few cases I wish I had a better zoom. Make sure you compare apples to apples. For example, I have a 5x optical zoom and a 10x digital zoom, but I have been told that it is the optical zoom that counts.

If interested, take a look at my album at:

http://www.ofoto.com/I.jsp?m=4604239...mp;n=456003369

Good luck.
Old Jul 24th, 2003, 06:16 AM
Original Poster

Cindy & Rocco, Thanks for sharing the great info on cameras & the web site. Sony F717 is one of the cameras we are looking to buy. We now will look at the CoolPix 5700 also. Rocco, I tried to look at you pics but couldn't get the photos to pull up. We are members of Ofoto so can't figure it out. Also tried to look at Karveys but no luck. Only 5 weeks till we depart.....can't wait!
Old Jul 24th, 2003, 12:03 PM

Jann-
You have to become a member of ofoto to view the pictures. It only takes a few minutes to fill out a form and pick a pass word. Roccos and Kavey pix are outstanding!!!
Sharon