do I have to buy pricey cameras?

Old Mar 4th, 2007, 07:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
do I have to buy pricey cameras?

We will be going on our first Safari this year and I read all the comments on camera's, filters, and lenses and it makes my head spin. We aren't big photographers. Has anybody just taken their normal cameras? There must be some people that don't go out and spend $2000 on equipment that they don't know how to use. Thanks for your input.

D
Old Mar 4th, 2007, 08:18 AM

No, you don't have to buy an expensive camera. I think I paid around $300 for my Canon S1 and it takes some great pictures. Get the highest optical zoom (10 or more) and you'll be fine.
Old Mar 4th, 2007, 08:19 AM

The following comments are from a picture taker who loves her wildlife pictures and wows friends and family but would win no photo awards and does not understand F-stops and light meters.

I did not go out and spend $2000 on a camera I did not know how to use. That thought never crossed my mind.

Depending on what your normal cameras are, they may work fine. I think you'll want at least a 200 mm or 10x optical zoom.

The big digital favorites in the $300-$500 range are:

Canon S3 or previous S2 model that would cost less

Panasonic FZ25 or FZ30

Sony DSC H2 and H5

These all have 12x optical zoom, image stabilization, and your choice of automatic or manual settings.

I think Olympus is coming out with an 18x optical zoom. Don't know much more about that.

None of the above are digital SLRs, favored by more serious photographers.

Try out whatever camera you are interested in before buying. What looks good on paper may not feel good in your hands.

I never go to a remote place with only 1 good camera. Always 2 in case something happens to one. One time something did happen and camera #2 saved the day.

There are lots of camera links if you type camera in the seach box.
Old Mar 4th, 2007, 08:21 AM

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...4&tid=34937100

Here's a link. Put that $2000 toward your next safari.
Old Mar 4th, 2007, 08:28 AM

I'm leaving for my first safari in about a week and I'm taking my everyday camera (pentax optio 750) and may not get "professional" pictures but then I didn't book my trip just to take pictures. Hope that helps.
Old Mar 4th, 2007, 08:58 AM

Hello DWC,
I took my non-digital point and shoot on 3 trips, but now I’m the proud owner of a Canon S3 and I didn’t spend $2000. I have no filters and lenses.
Old Mar 4th, 2007, 09:04 AM

The Canon S3 is a great camera for safari. I know, I've used an S2. (Great for travel in general). Also, play with the video mode, it is easy, just push the red button, you can zoom in video. Can be great fun.
regards - tom
Old Mar 4th, 2007, 09:59 AM

dwc0201, great question! Lot of camera comments on this board. As for me, I plan on purchasing a Canon S3 shortly so I can get comfy with it for trip in May/June. Prior to that I used an Olympus 740 digital the family gave me a few years ago. It worked great for trips we made. Main drawback, particularly for photographing birds (including those at backyard feeders) is lag time between depressing shutter release and actual picture taking. Even with taking digital camera we still take regular film camera. Maybe for an insurance factor or simply attachment to that mode of photography. For roughly $300 dollars of so, one can get a great user-friendly digital camera that will more than meet the needs of the average safari person. While I know my camera has many more features than I use, I often set it on "auto" and still get great pictures w/o lots of worry that otherwise would detract from the trip. What ever you buy or already use just be comfy with it. A person elsewhere on this board once suggested visiting a zoo and getting practice in a variety of settings before the trip.
Old Mar 4th, 2007, 10:39 AM
Original Poster

Perfect, thanks to all of you.