Destination Advice

Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 03:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Destination Advice

Hi fellow fodorites

Wonder if anyone can help with a destination suggestion for our next holiday in late September/October for 7/10 days. I am based in England and have travelled to Europe many times, as well as the US (NYC/Maine), Thailand x 2 and Barbados x 1. Major obstacle = boyfriend is more widely travelled (Cuba, Mexico, Oz x 4, US x 5, Canada x 2, Dubai plus Europe etc) and does not want to revisit any of these places (!). He's of the view that we should keep it 'local', given he flies most weeks to Europe with his job, unless I come up with some strong suggestions, plus need to keep flying to a minimum (if that's possible). I quite fancy a safari but fear this will be expensive, plus we will be approaching the rainy season. Ideally looking for somewhere that offers relaxation plus culture/historical (keep him in doors happy... !

I know from reading the above it sounds like an impossible case, but really hope that some one can offer any recommendation/advice from a past experience/recent trip.

Many thanks in advance.
Tracy (new Fodor member)
Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 05:58 PM

Tracy,
September/October is not the start of the rainy season everywhere in Africa! I would suggest Kenya for that time of year.

A safari would certainly be a "strong suggestion" and something your boyfriend has not done before.

Take a look at the following chart for best times to go to various parts of Africa for safari.

http://www.africa-adventure.com/best_time_to_go

You mention keeping your boyfriend indoors and also mention safari. Those are two totally contradictory statement. You will be outdoors the entire time, and you will have the time of your life.

Old Jul 4th, 2008, 05:11 AM

September/October is the end of winter/dry season in Kruger Park South Africa. It is the best time for safari since the vegetation is gone and the animals congragate around waterholes and rivers. I would strongly recommend Sabi Sands area for the best game viewing. We are going there in September to get Married.
Old Jul 4th, 2008, 05:38 AM
Original Poster

Hi - thanks for the suggestions regarding a safari. I will certainly look at this further.

Dana - apols, the term 'him indoors' is an old English colloquialism/figure of speech... sorry I forgot the website is global, my mistake.

Thanks once again
Tracy
Old Jul 5th, 2008, 09:41 AM

Sorry if I was so literal Tracy. So, what does "him indoors" mean?
Old Jul 5th, 2008, 01:58 PM

I saw your comment of keeping flying to a minimum.

I like the Kenya or Sabi Sands in South Africa suggestions that you have been given.

In Kenya you can do all driving with a private guide and vehicle.

For example:
1 maybe in Nairobi upon arrival or at the end. (If time allows--Karen Blixen home, Giraffe Center, Wildlife Center with captive species, Nairobi National park with wild animals, Nairobi National Museum, etc.

1-2 Sweetwaters (rhino, Jane Goodall Chimp Sanctuary, floodlit waterhole)

2 Samburu (northern species of giraffe, zebra, ostrich, antelope--you may see some of these at Sweetwaters too)

1 Lake Nakuru (rhino, flamingos)

3-4 Maasai Mara (With luck the migration is here but if rains have sent the bulk of it back to the Serengeti in TZ, you'll still see resident herds and good predators)

There are opportunities to visit local tribes for cultural interactions.

If you chose the Sabi Sands (private reserves next to Kruger), you would likely fly to your first camp from Johannesburg, but it is possible to drive. With a week or more, it would make sense to choose 2 camps but you could drive between them. Then fly back (or drive back) to Joburg after the 2nd camp. The Sabi Sands is productive enough to spend a week in just one place. I am not sure about the availability of cultural or historical activities.

Here are 3 other ideas.

In South Africa, fly to Durban, then drive to Phinda, a cheetah conservation area. The less expensive Phinda accommodations there are Mountain Lodge in the south and Forest Lodge in the north. I stayed at Forest and it was fabulous. There are numerous activities from rhino tracking (fantastic) to canoeing (lovely) to cultural visits (very nice) to aerial marine mammal viewing, etc. You could easily spend a week there. I did.

The least costly option would be a self drive in Kruger. Here is some info on that.
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=35127485
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=35083126
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=35091154

In the above suggestions, the wildlife viewing has been center stage. Cape Town, SA would offer history—Robben Island where Mandela was prisoner and Boer and Zulu battlefield tours; culture—township tours; relaxation—vineyards. Then you could add the safari part in Kruger or Sabi Sands, which would probably require a flight from Cape Town to Joburg.

Good luck and keep pushing Africa, Tracy!