Dennis's Pictures-Caprivi Strip, Hwange 2006

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21st, 2006, 11:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Trip report done, pictures up, now what will I do with my free time? (Actually, thanks to LyndaS's suggestion I'm turning my trip report with pictures into a "book" for some of my friends and family for Christmas.)
I used a Canon PowerShot S1 to take the pics. Took over 1800 pics, narrowed it down to 369. Some of the "new" animals came out better in person than in pics and some of the time I just watched through my eyes. Probably should have used a filter of some sort as many were "washed out" Wish I had taken a video camera for the elephant charges!
Anyway, here they are, hope you enjoy looking at them.
Aloha,
Dennis
http://tinyurl.com/y75zoh
Old Nov 21st, 2006, 11:43 AM
Original Poster

<b>sorry, correct link is:</b>

http://tinyurl.com/yeta4e
Old Nov 21st, 2006, 11:49 AM
Original Poster

&lt;don't think that works either, so try:

www.kodakgallery.com/dennisinzambia

click on caprivi strip album
Old Nov 21st, 2006, 01:18 PM

Dennis

Thanks for sharing. I think your Cormorant looks suspiciously like a Hamerkop!
Old Nov 21st, 2006, 01:29 PM
Original Poster

thanks matt, i'll change it...i'm bad at birds!
Old Nov 21st, 2006, 01:56 PM

Love the lion encounter photos! The 20k ellies looked well rested from their Angola trip. I remember seeing &quot;that xxx poster&quot; at the border crossing in Kasane, funny! So what are you doing to make these animals so happy to see you? The room at Ntwala looks amazing. I would love to have a &quot;willy&quot; on my next trip. Enjoyed your photos Dennis, thanks!
Old Nov 21st, 2006, 02:05 PM

Dennis: great pics! The python/impala kill is amazing stuff -- do you have an estimate on how big the snake was? I loved all your reptile pics, the python, leopard tortoises, croc at Ntwala.

Also, really enjoyed all the signs as they add to the feel. I love the country of Botswana and I appreciate that they are willing to put up signs about corruption and masturbation, it is refreshing to see a government go after the issues instead of just try to have a good public face.
Old Nov 21st, 2006, 02:11 PM

Beautiful animals, interesting signs - and there are some tsessebes! Thanks, Dennis.
Old Nov 21st, 2006, 05:18 PM
santharamhari

Thanks for sharing, Dennis...i've only seen the first half. Got to rush to work, but will view the rest later on...

Hari

Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 04:55 AM

Dennis,
Not being a reptile loving person either, I found myself repulsed and fascinated at the same time - you did capture the horror of that quite well.

I loved all your pictures and appreciate seeing that you were able to include some of the real world - great and so intriguing signage (funny).

Your people shots nicely captured their beauty and sweet smiles.

Seeing the people, housing, work areas etc. of the areas that I visit next is a consideration for me. I don't want to feel like I was drop shipped into the touristo areas without seeing how the real people live - seems a shame to miss out on that.

Your birds, foliage and wildlife details are all stunning. Oh and those dogs faces - <b>priceless</b>
((&amp) ((&amp) ((&amp)
Thanks for posting;
Sherry
Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 05:17 AM

Lots of great shots Dennis including a nice close shot of a genet, numerous &quot;tough&quot; to get bird shots and that python/impala encounter is a once in a life time photo.
Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 05:44 AM

Some interesting signs. The dog crossing sign was followed by a real wild dog photo that looked and posed just like the sign.

The Loom Tree was a first. You certainly had variety. The baby jackals and bat eared foxes were adorable. You saw sable! Liked the running zebras and kudus. A drinking giraffe is so hard to get. Many great photos of animals in or coming to water. You are right about the nice coats for the Hwange lions. Lots of great sunrise/sets shots. You look just as I pictured you! Funny, how often that is the case. A superb trip.
Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 06:23 AM
santharamhari

Got thru all the pictures on the Kodak gallery, Dennis.....lots of good ones!!!! Thanks for sharing and making us feel like we were on safari with you...

Hari

Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 09:26 AM

Great photos, Dennis! Loved the python, sunsets, birds, and of course the signs.
Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 11:14 AM

Great photos Dennis. Too many (like 300-something) to remember my favorites although &quot;that one sign&quot; nearly did me in.
Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 11:45 AM

YAY! Thanks Dennis!
Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 12:23 PM
sandi

Great. No worry about some being washed out, together these were great. So you're not good remembering bird names, neither do I, but you had such a great assortment. The python strangle was deep!

In the end, the look on your faces petting those lions was worthy. They're just big little putti-cats!

Thanks for sharing these.

Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 01:33 PM

Great pics Dennis-
Love all the signs at the beginning. And the lion encounter ones, and the wild dog ones...

...and I'll be the ignorant one and ask:

Just what the heck is a red velvet mite and am I the only one who hasn't seen one of these before?
Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 04:50 PM

Wow! Great photos. The python is amazing. The wild dogs very cool. Lucky guy. Thanks for sharing.
Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 07:01 PM

Thanks for sharing your photos, Dennis. There were so many nice ones and brought back many wonderful memories for me.

If you're shooting digital, your camera will try to compensate if you use a filter. What I did was use the &quot;cloudy&quot; setting, so that the camera would brighten things up a bit. I also take a video camera. Africa is such a wonderful place for videos!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -