Search

DEET on face?

Search this Thread

Old May 11th, 2006, 06:05 AM
africnow

DEET on face?

Pardon me if this is a stupid question, please.

On a thread below, discussing packing lists, it was mentioned that someone is taking 100% DEET.

Two other people mentioned that this is very strong and that it should not be used on the face or the back of the neck.

The problem is that in the same posts 35% DEET is also mentioned. I am confused if the same advice is true for the 35% DEET?

I have bought 2 kinds of DEET. 1 Ultrathon with 31.34% and 2 Ultrathon with 34.34% ("Splash & Sweat Resistant&quot. Then I have something called Ben's with 30% DEET.

In addition I have Mosi-guard ("Natural insect repellent&quotwith Citriodol. Doesn't give a percentage, but says "Child friendly" and "Skin kind"

Should I use only the latter on my face, ears, the back of my neck and so on?

Sorry - I am confused.
Would appreciate advice from the experts here.

Thanks!

Old May 11th, 2006, 06:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have used 35% DEET on my face without problem. 50% DEET does dry it out a bit but have used that too when needs must.

DO take care even with the lower strengths not to get it in eyes or mouth.

Old May 11th, 2006, 01:43 PM
sandi

There have been cases of people who have from using Deet products on the face and back of neck, regardless the strength. While this outcome would be tragic, to me it's not even an option.

Deet is a chemical and a powerful one at that. It can seep thru the skin and cross mucuous membranes. In fact, the bottle I have, specifically advises not to use on the face and back of the neck. Even if one doesn't have such a drastic reaction, doesn't mean that doing so the next time won't be, even if it's been weeks, months or years since last used.

Repellent doesn't have to be applied as you would a body lotion, especially if you're not traveling in a known infected area - especially seasonally in the "wet" or where lots of water breeds these critters. Malaria mossies bite from dusk to dawn; they're rarely found at altitudes higher than 5,000-ft (they don't like the cold); Dengue mossies bite during the day. Use repellent accordingly and cover up with clothing if you're a natural target for flying things.

With the exception of mossies on Zanzibar, that just loved my ankles, we've yet to come across mossies elsewhere in all our visits to Africa, often traveling during the wet seasons.

As to the natural repellents (from a health food shop) - we used this some years back with much success. Besides, it had a wonderful scent or cloves and lemon; even with this, we never applied to the face or back of neck.

Why chance it?

Old May 11th, 2006, 02:14 PM
sandi

... that should be:
who have "died"

Old May 11th, 2006, 02:16 PM

Blimey, I never read that bit - died? Crumbs. I'll stick to the citronella stuff on the sensitive areas from now on and DEET on ankles, clothes etc.
Old May 11th, 2006, 02:21 PM

Those Raid or Off sachets I have with no DEET mentioned on the front (can't read the back - too small) are starting to look way better to me now...
Old May 11th, 2006, 02:39 PM

I have seen deet basically melt a plastic pen. I would not put it on my face -- also remember if you put something on your face and sweat it can easily move to your eyes.

If the bugs are bad I would recommend spraying a hat that you can wear and then have a bandana that you can spray that can be tied around your neck. This will usually discourage mossies from your face area without applying it on your skin.
Old May 11th, 2006, 03:16 PM

I don't understand the not-on-the-neck thing, though. I saw Sherry mention it on another thread. Why not? I seem to remember getting bitten on the back of my neck.
Old May 11th, 2006, 06:51 PM
santharamhari

No. Not on the face. On one of my trips, i had a bad allergic rash on my neck.

Hari

Old May 11th, 2006, 07:24 PM

Off topic a bit - Has anyone used the BUzz Off socks from Magellans? I just got a pair but haven't tried them on because they look a little weird.

And I personally avoid Deet whevever possible so even tho I'm bringing a tube of Ultra Thon just in case, l'm banking on my herbal Skeeter Beeter!

No DEET on the face!
Old May 11th, 2006, 07:58 PM

I read somewhere to put a Bounce dryer sheet in your hat or pinned to your clothing. It apparently has something that repelled bugs/mossies. Anyone else heard/tried this?

momofmany
Old May 11th, 2006, 10:11 PM

DON'T MISPLACE THE SOCKS!!
Old May 11th, 2006, 10:47 PM

I'm assuming everyone is protected from malaria, and if you're in a dengue area I would have thought you are at risk and definitely agree with Sandi's advice to cover up whatever the temperature - I would add to keep moving and to stay in front of fans as much as possible(mozzies need time and relatively still air to settle enough to bite and swivelling fans are aprticularly effectivea t keeping them away). Are many of us likely to be in dengue areas Sandi? It occurs I never really though about it, and I am really careless about mozzies because I get bitten every day in my own garden.

With regard to the annoyance factor, for most people mosquito bites only get really annoying after they are scratched or rubbed. If you can withstand the initial itch they will not swell much and will be a lot less annoying. Treating the itch with something after you are bitten is therefore something to consider. Tiger balm works for me, but I would imagine there are a lot of creams that will do the trick. Prevention is better, but not with 100% DEET.

Of course this does not help people who have a bad reaction to bites or who are real mozzie-magnets - God bless the latter and I'll always be happy to buy you a drink after dinner. ;-)

Cooncat, lightish coloured thickish socks sprayed a bit with your repellent of choice will probably do as well as Buzzoff socks, although everyone should keep in mind with this spraying that it is likely to damage your clothes a bit - not good for the Armani. ;-) In addition, if you keep your feet and ankles in the lightest areas possible - try not to put your legs under the table or your feet under the seat in the car, for example, I think you'll find it makes a difference.

To take it further I think PredatorBiologist has a great idea - there are lots of things you can do IF you are one of the unfortunates or the mozzies are really bad. Another example would be fanning your face (a fold up fan doesn;t take up any space)and wearing a silk scarf loosely hung and bunched up to your hairline at the back (put a bit of natural repellent on it if you want)may help a bit too.

Maybe those of us who live in mossie-infested areas can ask around and come up with a lot more ideas. Mosquitos don't like wind, smoke, lemongrass... whet else.. my mind is a blank?

For most of us mosquitos are not going to be a big problem - like Sandi I found East Africa to be pretty low on mosquitos and only got bitten when I was stupid enough to leave the window open and not use my net at night.

Old May 12th, 2006, 01:32 AM
africnow

Thanks so much to all of you for the info.

Okay then - the DEET is for emergencies only and then best on the all-cotton clothing and not on the skin.

The Citriodol on the neck, ears, wrists. For the face, if necessary, a scarf with Citriodol, attached to the hat. Also on the socks.

Does anyone know if there is a map that shows Dengue areas? Up till now never even thought of that - what a novice! I have been more concerned about Malaria.

I will be in Tanzania and Kenya:

Tanzania
Guest house - Mt. Meru
Mto Wa Mbu - camping
Ngorongoro - camping (crater rim)
Serengeti - camping (bush camps)

Kenya
Mountain Rock Lodge, Mt. Kenya
Maasai Mara - camping
Lake Naivasha - cottages
Wildlife Club of Kenya bandas inside the park.

Staying in Arusha, passing through Nairobi.

Old May 12th, 2006, 04:29 AM

Hello Africanow,
Sorry to be a nudge about the Deet, I’ll try to keep this short.

My intent was NOT to have anyone STOP using deet altogether, but articulate being prudent with it, as others have stated above. 35 % is generally the high rec. when in areas where susceptible to mossies. Deet is a very valuable product and should NOT be ELIMANATED altogether.

Deet should be applied in small amounts and on pulse points such as wrists, ankles and back of knees as you would perfume. You will not only be better protected by applying on those areas but you will be better assured that you’re not using on areas that may be questionable.

If you need it near your head, try putting it on your shoulder caps. This would be rec. for any % of deet. The reason I mentioned not applying to the back of neck, around major arteries and on the spinal cord is b/c these are the major pathways to the brain and major nerve endings. Deet works on mossies by creating nerve damage and thus kills (paralyzes) the mossie from exposure.

Prior to going kayaking thru humid swampy areas, I lightly spray 30% deet on like perfume and may even wear a treated shirt and hat - I never get bit. I’ve also had good results with citronella but find that I have to apply it quite often. Also, I never use deet on my nieces and nephews as I fear what it will do to to immature nerve endings – but that’s just me.

I will end my lecture by reminding you to throw out any of these products including sun block if it has sat around for a year or so or gone thru heat changes, as they will lose their effectiveness.

Sherry
Old May 12th, 2006, 04:43 AM

p.s. One more thing \/ - sorry

you are not 100% assured that will not get malaria even when taking the meds.
Old May 12th, 2006, 04:44 AM
sandi

Wind is another thing that mossies don't like, so appreciate that reminder above. And, also recall something about cloudy nights. So pray for high altitude, clear star-lite nights and no wind.

I don't know much about Dengue, but it's certainly not limited to Africa. There have been outbreaks here in the States as well. But as mentioned, these mossies bite during the day.

Just, whatever you choose to use, if you actually even need repellent, be smart about it. Use alternative products to Deet if possible, low percentage of Deet and avoid delicate body parts. Though I always have a bottle of Deet product, I mostly use Avon's Skin-so-soft (which has it's pros and cons... probably more cons) which seems to work for me. Unless the mossies simply don't like me, but for the ankles in that one instance.

The canvas tents are well made and mossie proofed with spray. Be sure there are no holes in the mesh windows if you wish to keep these open during the night (as many do). If no screens at lodges, keep those windows closed.

Be smart and practical when it comes to repellent, proper clothing during mossie biting time and DO remember to take your malaria meds.

Old May 12th, 2006, 05:01 AM

Good stuff for all to heed. Those Buzz Off socks were an impulse buy when I was getting my luggage tags and lock, and extra current adapter at Magellan's. I may just send them back. Not long now and many Fodorites will be in Africa!
Old May 12th, 2006, 10:21 AM

I haven't found biting insects to be much of a problem in Kenya/Tanzania. I bring DEET as an emergency back up only. Elsewhere I use herbal repellant. The only time I've had to break out the DEET is at Lake Baringo and it didn't work on the Baringo bugs anyway
Old May 13th, 2006, 12:57 PM
africnow

Thanks for all of the help everyone.

cybor - I do understand about the limitations of the meds. Thanks.

Patty - What time of year did you travel, please? Is the Citriodol likely to be sufficient in August?

What about the Dengue mosquitoes? Is anything especially good against them? Are they common in South West Kenya and North East Tanzania in the winter there?

I have learned so much from all of you on this board! Much appreciated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -