Search

Dana_M or others interested in seeing gorillas

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4th, 2007, 04:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dana_M or others interested in seeing gorillas

Dana_M,

I recall you asked on another thread if I had any plans to see the gorillas in the future. Divewop and I are looking at Aug of 2009 for several gorilla visits, plus the golden monkeys, in Rwanda. Hopefully something in Kenya too.

I also mentioned it in this post.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=35092832

Are you interested? Or are there other Fodorites interested?
Old Dec 4th, 2007, 05:37 PM

Since you are asking if any other fodorites are interested...I'll jump in!
I'd love to go but 2009 will probably be too soon for me. I'll be going to Mashatu and South Africa next summer and I won't have recovered finanacilly by 2009 unless I win the lottery!
I've actually been considering going back to Rwanda in 2011. If I wait too much longer than that I don't know if I'll be able to make it up the mountains! My niece wants to come along on a future trip and she knows someone who lives in a Rwanda and would love to visit him. So going to Rwanda has definitely been in the back of my mind for a while now.
Of course you and Divewop go so often that maybe you'll be going back in 2011 also!
Of course I won't rule out 2009 altogether! Life is too short and the gorillas are becoming more endangered than ever.
Old Dec 4th, 2007, 05:42 PM

Lynn, I too am dying to go gorilla trekking. However, I recently made a job change and cannot plan anything at the moment. Will definitely plan as soon as I have a better sense of where my life is headed (hah!).
Old Dec 4th, 2007, 06:55 PM

Since the Panatal with Lynda is not until 2010, and I have nothing planned for 2009, quite possibly I'd be interested. Will watch how it pans out. Would be fun!
Old Dec 5th, 2007, 09:14 AM
Original Poster

Alright Dennis! Have you settled on a month for the Pantanal in 2010?
Old Dec 5th, 2007, 09:46 AM

I'll leave that up to Lynda
Old Dec 5th, 2007, 03:24 PM

I have interest!

Cyn
Old Dec 5th, 2007, 03:46 PM
Original Poster

We're getting quite a little group here. We can do the gorillas and a few spots in Kenya.

Then the migration in Sudan, followed by the gazelles in Mongolia, swinging back to Zambia in time for the fruit bats and if we're lucky some Pel's Fishing Owls. After some time at home for the holidays we'll resume our journey by flying with the monarchs down to Mexico and we'll check out the crabs in Delaware and/or New Jersey. By then we can join Lynda and Dennis in the Pantanal.

It's a plan, guys!

My email is displayed and so is Divewop's so you can get in touch whenever you want--for the gorillas and Kenya.
Old Dec 5th, 2007, 03:49 PM

I'm a year ahead of you for Kenya and Gorillas, it seems. Do you have any idea, yet, who you'll use for the gorilla treks? I'm looking at R&N Xplorer, given the good reviews they get here.
Old Dec 5th, 2007, 04:30 PM

Geez, you people plan ahead, don't you? Wish I was that diligent!

I'm just now getting my plan together for next month's return visit to Rwanda...

...and that's why Lynn is in charge of preliminary preparation for this trip!

Old Dec 5th, 2007, 06:08 PM
Original Poster

Sandy, Just get your last round of gorilla pictures up. That's your job right now.
Old Dec 6th, 2007, 04:23 AM

Maybe by 2009 they'll have paved the road to the starting point?
Old Dec 6th, 2007, 07:32 AM
Original Poster

I'm just hoping they don't pave right up to the gorillas or install a cable car you could ride up. Then you could ride up, view the gorillas, and zipline down the mountain right into a plunge pool at the bottom. With chocolate covered strawberries promptly delivered on silver.
Old Dec 7th, 2007, 04:19 PM

You're right-be careful what to wish for! Maybe just a nice dirt road would be an improvement.
Old Jan 1st, 2008, 05:53 PM
Original Poster

Dana M,

Hoping you'll see this since I saw you are posting and planning.

BTW, Rwanda elections are in Aug of 2010.
Old Jan 1st, 2008, 10:00 PM

We are hoping to see the Gorillas, Mandrills & "surfing Hippos" in Gabon in 2009. Has anyone been yet?
Old Jan 2nd, 2008, 06:45 AM

Hi Lynn,
Thanks for topping this. I did not see it before. This forum is so active, if you are away for a few weeks threads get buried quickly. I've posted a little to the Central America threads but haven't been on this forum for weeks.

Yes, I am interested. I know it was months ago when I said I was trying to decide between February/March and July/August, but I had to put planning aside for the holidays, year end, and had to finish planning and booking the Costa Rica trip. That turned out to be 11 people, with input from several of the kids, and we are all in different states, so it took a little more time than I originally thought it would.

So now I am back onto planning for the gorillas. Are you and Divewop planning to go to Uganda as well as Rwanda? How much time do you want to spend in Kenya and where? I will probably spend three weeks, so if you are planning two weeks I'll probably tack something onto one end or the other. Let me know some details.

I was thinking 1 week Uganda, Murchison Falls, QE National Park and Bwindi. Followed by PNV in Rwanda. Followed by either Kenya or Tanzania, depending on time of year. I think you might be skipping Uganda (?) but if so, I could put that either at the beginning or the end of the trip. I was leaning towards the southern Serengeti in late February/March, because my birthday is early March and a few friends said they wanted to go. But, these are the same friends who usually don't want to spend the time or money and say "and why do you want to go to Africa again?" So they are probably out but I can certainly find out if they are serious in the next few weeks.

August is obviously a wonderful time in Kenya, and I'd love to travel with like-minded fodorites. If you have a rough idea of your plans let me know - even if that is just country, total # of days, and approximate budget/day. I am definitely very interested.

Again, thanks for remembering me and noticing I had not seen the thread.

Dana

Old Jan 2nd, 2008, 08:02 AM
Original Poster

Here were my thoughts, though costs or other factors could alter my non-Rwanda plans. I know the Rwanda part will likely be the most costly with the price of permits.

1 Leave home
2 In transit
3 To PNV
4 trek--stay in lower end PNV prop*
5 trek
6 trek
7 trek
8 trek (4 gorilla & 1 golden monkey)
*Gorilla Nest or lesser, though I don't want to demean Gorilla Nest as "low." It was very nice.
9 to Kenya
10 Samburu
11 Samburu
12 Samburu
13 Samburu
Ele Watch Camp for at least 2
of the 4 nts, which is the most
expensive, but you track and
watch elephants.
14 Mara--not a high-end property
15 Mara
16 Mara
17 Mara
18 leave Mara
19 get home

If another day or so is needed, that would be ok. Not more than 21 days, though.
Old Jan 2nd, 2008, 05:07 PM

Thanks Lynn. I googled Elephant Watch Camp, and it looks great. The rest of the itinerary looks good too. Nice mix of countries/areas and camps. Gorilla's Nest helps keep the Rwanda price in line so more $$ for gorilla permits. I like your thinking!

I'm going to talk to the friends who said they wanted to go in February/March over the weekend. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks again,
Dana
Old Jan 2nd, 2008, 05:50 PM
Original Poster

Dana,

Feel free to email me about some other Rwanda possibilities.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -