Daily Excursion Musts in Sharm?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4th, 2008, 02:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My partner & I are travelling to Sharm from 21-28 August.

we're diving 3 days- but wanted to do something in between.

Things I read-

Camel Ride & Dinner in Bedioun
Climb Mt. Sinai (isn't it really far?)

Can anyone recommend any reputable/reasonabily priced tour operators? I'd like to book up before I go.

Thanks.
Old Jul 4th, 2008, 03:51 AM

Wait until you get there to book. You know it is going to be SO HOT that you might change your mind about wanting to go out and do much after a day in the sun. Nothing is going to be sold out anyway, so there is no real need to book in advance, AND if you wait you have significantly more bargaining power in person than you do if you just accept any price they offer over the Internet.

I suggest getting down to Naa'ma Bay and fiding one of the Sun-n-Fun Kiosks. They have one on the beach at the Marriott and another on the promenade near the Novotel. There may be more kiosks around now - it's been awhile since I've been up there.

Anyway, Sun-n-Fun is good and reputable. They will have like a menu of excursions to pick from. You can sign up for as many at once as you like and the more you sign up for the bigger discount you should get. At the VERY least make them give you your mask and fins for free if you go snorkeling.

That is who I would use anyway. Have fun and don't fry.
Old Jul 4th, 2008, 04:55 AM
Original Poster

thanks!

question- we're staying at a hotel in naaman bay- B&B basis.

everyone keeps saying that small tips throughout the day are essential.

rough estimation of how much cash to bring? i'm assuming ATM are readily accessible, right?
Old Jul 4th, 2008, 11:07 AM

100% ATM's will be accessible. And, yes, you'll want cash with you all the time. Small tips are needed for everything inlcuding the boys that set up your beach chairs or pool chairs and give you towels. They are working for tips, so don't assume they are well paid by any hotel.

If you want to walk the promenade at Naa'ma Bay, you no doubt will want to stop at any other hotel or restaurant for a drink or beer or something and you will have to pay for those - can't sign for things outside your hotel.

The B&B basis for your hotel is brilliant! This gives you the freedom to eat at any other hotel or restaurant in the afternoon or evening for the next meal. There are so many good choices, I think this is important.

Have a great time!
Old Jul 7th, 2008, 02:06 AM
Original Poster

thanks! if we budget £100 for the week for the (2) of us for tips?

also- i'm assuming we tip diving guides? we're going for (3) days- can we tip at the end or do we tip for each day? 10%?

what's standard tip for bags to room/drink to pool/towel, etc?

10LE?

cheers.
Old Jul 7th, 2008, 11:36 PM

if we budget £100 for the week for the (2) of us for tips?

I would think that would be plenty. That is 500LE each and for that I think you can be fairly generous with your dive guides and the people that really put out to make your holiday better.

also- i'm assuming we tip diving guides? we're going for (3) days- can we tip at the end or do we tip for each day? 10%?

Yes, by all means you should. I think 10% of the full amount you pay for your tours is probably the right amount. I don't know, but I suspect the company will have a method they want you to follow for tips. Probably daily as not all crew may be there for all days, and everyone on the boat should get something. Keep in mind that if one dive guide really stands out over the others, it might be nice to make sure you say thank you to him with a little extra direct to him to be SURE he gets it.

what's standard tip for bags to room/drink to pool/towel, etc?

10LE?

I think LE5 per bag to room is good. LE5 per person in the room to the cleaning person per day (lay this out on your bed everyday so the right person can collect it.

For the other things like towels, drinks, etc. I think as little as 1LE each time is probably still OK.
Old Jul 8th, 2008, 12:25 AM
Original Poster

thanks again! very helpful!

we have a 'holiday' bank account- where we transfer money and i just want to make sure we're budgetting enough...

hotel & flights- prepaird
diving - prepaid, €40 for tips
lunches- €100
dinners- €150
excursions (2 days/2 people)- €150
tips- €125
souviners/etc- €100

Total- €665

????
Old Jul 8th, 2008, 08:14 AM

I don't know? It looks OK I guess. Have a credit card along in case you need it is all I can say. I'm trying to figure out the same thing for a trip to Spain for me. I will probably blow through any exta I take, but I'd hate to be left short.