Currency Purchases Western African Countries

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11th, 2009, 07:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will be travelling on a 38 day expedition cruise tour up the western coast of Africa starting in Cape Town. This journey will stop in cities/towns along the coast of Namibia, Angola, Gabon, Sao Tome and Principe Benin, Ghana, Takoradi, Sierra Leone, Senegal, Mauritania, Morocco, Spain. There will be over night and internal flights in a few of the countries - Gabon to Loanga National Park and Marrakech. and will want to possibly give small gratuities.
Not sure how much shopping we will be doing, but some monies will be required. Is it appropriate to just purchase US dollars (we're Canadian) as it seems to be becoming the universal money? I'm not sure when purchasing items in markets etc if the money of the country will be expected.
As it is difficult to purchase all these currencies here prior to leaving is it possible to draw funds from AtM's in the countries along the route? What is the safest way to withdraw funds?
We will have 3 days in Cape Town and will acquire SA$ for that portion of the journey.
The ship holds approx. 100 people and does not offer currencies for purchase.
We leave Mar 29 so have just a few weeks to resolve.
Thanks,
Old Mar 11th, 2009, 08:34 AM

The only country on your list I've been to is Benin, and although I used the CFA franc there (I changed cash at the airport), most people seemed willing to accept dollars (except bush taxis and zemi drivers but I'm thinking you aren't going to be using those unless something goes really wrong...)

The main point of my reply though is to ask you to please report back -- I'm especially interested in your stop in Sierra Leone - I've looked into going there recently so would love to hear your impressions. (I assume you are just stopping in Freetown there?)

Sounds like a great trip --

Linda
Old Mar 11th, 2009, 08:49 AM

I'm sure many of the currencies for countries above aren't even available for purchase in Canada or the US for that matter. And, for those that are, the exchange rate will be terrible; would you even know how much you'd need? Then, trying to re-exchange foreign currency once back home, you loose again on the exchange.

I believe at most foreign docking facilities you will find local Exchange Bureaus (Cambos, etc.) where you'll be able to obtain local currency. But, don't exchange too much.
Old Mar 11th, 2009, 11:55 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies.

Will make sure to purchase some American cash and have in smaller denominations just in case.

In Sierra Leone we will be stopping into Freetown with a side visit to the village of Regent and the Tacugama Chimpanzee Sanctuary.

Will make an effort to write a report upon our return. I'm overdue with my Aust/NZ & New Guinea report from last Oct - Dec 08 as well. This is the last of the major travel so will have some time.
Old Mar 11th, 2009, 12:46 PM

Calex - the chimp sanctuary was one of the places I am planning to visit when I finally make it to S.L. so I'm very much looking forward to hearing about it!

Have a great trip.