Reload this Page >

Credit card or cash for Kenya

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4th, 2002, 04:08 PM
noeleen

We will be going to Kenya early october. The first week we will be on safari staying in Serena Hotel in Nairobi, and then in Samburu Serena lodge, Montain lodge, Lake Nakaru lodge and Mara serena lodge. the second week is all inclusive at club sun n sand. My question is while staying at the lodges is it customary to pay by cash or credit card for drinks purchased. We will obviously bring some cash but if credit cards are accepted at these places it will cut down the amount we need to bring. Also as we are european should we take Euro with us to exchange for Kenyan currency or should we bring US dollers.

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 05:58 AM
darlene

My experience in Tanzania (Should be the same in Kenya) is that all the Serenas and most lodges took credit cards, and you can sign for your drinks and pay with a credit card at the end. Gift shops in these lodges - which were quite good also took credit cards. Cash is only needed for tips (most of ours were included in our trip plan, but we tipped some for outstanding service) and buying from local people that we met inbetween lodges, and possible airport fees (again this was taken care of by our travel agent- but we were unsure about that. There was sometimes a fee for using credit cards (5%, but this is less that we pay in sales tax in the states) and seemed quite fair with the exchange rate). Most items were marked in US dollars, and seemed to be the preferred currency. Sounds like a great trip - Enjoy.

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 07:23 AM
Dave

We were in Kenya for a week last year on a tour. As I remember, you could pay for extras with a credit card, but usually it was so little that we paid with cash. They accepted Kenya shillings and $US, but I felt that it was best to pay in local currency, because they round up the price to the next higher dollar. The $US is widely accepted, and I suspect, but am not sure, that it is preferable to the Euro for easy exchange among the people.

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 12:47 PM
noeleen

Thank you Darlene and Dave. That clears things up. US dollers it is with the credit card as back up.<BR> Cheers Noeleen

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 06:18 PM
nancy

Be sure to change some US$ to shillings for visits to tribal villages. It's more difficult for them to change the money when you purchase items (and you probably will). I found that I wished I had more shillings or at least one dollar bills.