Search

Cell phones for dummies

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6th, 2012, 11:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cell phones for dummies

I give up. I have tried a zillion places, but it's all Greek to me. Can anyone bear with a poor ludite and answer a few stupid questions?

I understand that I need an unlocked phone. So how do I tell if my phone is locked please? Since it's ATT I presume it is. Do I ask them to unlock it, or does that raise a red flag? Do these online websites or people on Craigslist that claim to unlock your phone actually work? Can I get in contractual trouble with ATT for unlocking it?

When I buy a Sim card does that activate everything in my Iphone? Including data? Has anyone used data in Morocco? What if I don't want to use the data plan, but just wifi? Can I buy a sim card for that? (The only reason I'm thinking of bringing it is for the GPS.)

I'm also going to be in France and Italy. Is there a sim card that will work for all of these? Or am I better off buying separately in each country? (Only a few days in the other countries so I'm not sure it's worth it...)

I'm landing in Nice so I will not have the resources of CDG at hand. Then, in Morocco, I land in Fes, and quite late at night..

Lastly, and with great shame, I admit that I'm leaving in 11 days, so don't have the two weeks to send for a card.

Sorry to be such a dummy. Greatly appreciate all replies! (nice ones! ;-) )

TF
Old Mar 6th, 2012, 11:49 AM

What kind of phone is it and how long have you been an ATT customer? That will figure in as to whether they will unlock for you.

Regarding the sim card. You can buy one there. Google Morocco sim and you will get the info you need.

Have a good trip.
Old Mar 6th, 2012, 12:04 PM
Original Poster

It's an Iphone and for years and years...

btw I have googled (I always start there first) but am looking for firsthand experience, spelled out in fourth grade form.

TF
Old Mar 6th, 2012, 12:19 PM

I use two mobiles in Morocco, my Smartphone with data and wifi ability, and a cheap voice-only phone. There's a lot of wifi in Morocco, so I disable data otherwise it gets expensive. Functions such as street maps still work via cellnet triangulation.

Be aware that when a phone is unlocked you typically lose all stored information. So the best solution I reckon is for you is to leave the iPhone as it is and get a new cheap voice-only phone.

If you follow this route, get it sorted before you leave home. Get a new tri-band phone that's on a pay-as-you-go tariff, that way it won't be locked. It will probably only cost around $15 including new battery and charger. Then load it with the phone numbers you might want to use. Don't forget the international code prefixes.

When you get to Morocco, buy a SIMM with a minimum amount of credit. Expect to pay about 60-80dh in total.

My Nokia 1800 (UK phone with Moroccan SIMM) works in the UK and probably other countries via a roaming agreement that MarocTelecom has.
Old Mar 6th, 2012, 04:08 PM
Original Poster

Tim, thanks SO much for the heads up. I wouldn't be happy losing my data.

So last week I asked the guy selling the various no-contract phones if they were unlocked and he said no? Do you happen to remember which company you bought yours from?

Also, still a dummy here -- I thought that wifi and data were two different things. How do I turn off the data portion only? Will the maps stuff still work if I take my sim out? (it's very hard to do with the Iphone or, of course, I'd just try it lol)

Also, when I googled sim cards for M, a zillion different companies came up for sims. Then a different article said that there are really only two moroccan phone companies. Is MarocTelecom one of them?

Sorry for the lack of ability here -- I'm generally willing to just "go with the flow" but phone feels kinda like a life-line...

thanks again!

TF
Old Mar 6th, 2012, 04:33 PM

i recently called ATT with same question about unlocking my phone. They said they can do it once my current contract expires. I've been a customer for yrs, but dint argue, becuase i had already bought a fantastic unlocked phone in the country i was visitng(India) for $20.

Before leaving, I'd ordreed an unlocked ph on Amazon. what I learned: TEST IT before leaving for your destination, by trying SIMcard first. I didnt , only to realize once in India taht the phone was defective!!
Old Mar 7th, 2012, 03:48 PM
Original Poster

AACk. I aws about to buy phone through amazon. Was it a particular company or Amazon itlsef?
Old Mar 7th, 2012, 03:50 PM
Original Poster

I just got off "chat" with ATT. These are the answers I got, which I didn't like, but did find helpful:

Sorry if it's dumbed down, but then this thread is for dummies lol
Old Mar 7th, 2012, 03:51 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for choosing AT&T International Care a representative will be with you shortly. Please note: Protecting your personal information is one of our highest priorities; hence, you will be required to provide account related information to ensure whom we are working with. Data encryption is also enabled to protect your personal information during this chat session. For more information please go to http://www.wireless.att.com/privacy/ or http://www.att.com/privacy/. Please wait for a site operator to respond.

You are now chatting with Gladys Kotey.

Gladys Kotey: Hello! My name is Gladys Kotey and I am an International Care Representative. I’m reading your inquiry and I will be right with you.

sender: mainly I want to check email

sender: and if I get a call and don't pick it up, am I charged for it?

Gladys Kotey: I will be happy to assist you with that.

Gladys Kotey: Which country are you traveling to?

sender: france morroco and italy

Gladys Kotey: The standard rate for data is $0.02/kb. AT&T also offers 4 international data discounted packages: $24.99(50MB), $49.99(125MB), $99.99(275MB) & $199.99(800MB). Overage rate is about $10.00 per every 10MB. The monthly charge is prorated.

sender: i do not use push

Gladys Kotey: The plan will not work in Morocco.

sender: is use of map data use?

sender: oh dear!!

Gladys Kotey: Yes.

sender: double ouch!

sender: so what do people do in morocco -- get a different phone?

Gladys Kotey: You can use data at the standard rates or turn your data roaming off to avoid data charges.

sender: you mean the phone works just the plan doesn't apply?

sender: and how do I turn data roaming off please?

Gladys Kotey: That's correct.

sender: so if I don't use push, but I go in and say "check for messages,: and it downloads a bunch what kind of amount of usage is that please? and what is the standard charge?

sender: and how do I turn data roaming off please?

Gladys Kotey: It's Setting>General>Network>Data Roaming.

sender: does checking weather count as data use too?

sender: it says this about morocco:

sender: IAM Coverage map not available UMTS coverage in cities of Rabat, Casablanca, Marrakech, Fes, Agadir, Tanger, Oujda, Layoune, Meknes, Safi, El Jadida, Essaouira, Beni Mellal, Ourzazat, Settat. UMTS coverage in Western Sahara may be limited to major population areas. Voice Data EDGE 2-way text messaging UMTS 2100; GSM/GPRS 900

sender: http://www.wireless.att.com/travelgu...42.49&x=56&y=6

sender: so if I don't use push, but I go in and say "check for messages,: and it downloads a bunch what kind of amount of usage is that please? and what is the standard charge?

Gladys Kotey: The standard rate for data is $0.02/kb.

sender: so if I don't use push, but I go in and say "check for messages,: and it downloads a bunch what kind of amount of usage is that please? in amount

Gladys Kotey: It really depends.

sender: three short emails without attachements

sender: also your graph shows world traveler as working in morocco

sender: i need toknow what we are talking about in terms of cost. really!

Gladys Kotey: Click here for data calculator

sender: so it says that I use about 40 mb a day I multiply that by what a thousand or a hundred to get kb?

sender: OMG thats like a million dollars!

Gladys Kotey: It's $20.00 per MB.

sender: liek a million dollars. Guess I'll get a different company... sheesh...

sender: if I turn off data that turns off messages too?

sender: is there a charge for incomeing calls?

sender: what if I don't answer them?

Gladys Kotey: We offer two options, the first one is the Expanded Roaming Feature, which is no monthly charge and $1.39 per minute to make or receive calls while in Italy. The second option is call the World Traveler, which is $5.99 monthly and that discounts your rate to $0.99/min to make or receive calls. The monthly charge is prorated.

sender: but not to morocco?

Gladys Kotey: Click here for roaming rates

sender: my iph0one 3 gs will work there?

Gladys Kotey: Also, you are charged for missed calls and the length of time the person leaves you a voicemail, so we recommend that you turn your phone off if not in use.

sender: yow! guess I'll be leaving it home!

sender: ok. SO if I have my phone with me and it's off. there is no charge. But if there is an emergency and I use it, it will work without me having done anything other than turn it on?

sender: but no charge if my phone is OFF and someone leaves a message.

Gladys Kotey: You need to add international feature to your account.

sender: what does that cost? just to add it?

Gladys Kotey: It depends on what you want to add.

sender: just the ability to use it in an emergency

Gladys Kotey: It's no monthly charges.

Gladys Kotey: Click here for our FAQ's

sender: oh boy

sender: ok so can I switch my sim to a cheaper phone while I go overseas, so I don't risk losing my iphone?

sender: so I just like buy a go-phone?

sender: and put my sim card in it

Gladys Kotey: Go phones do not work there.

sender: what does?

Gladys Kotey: Contract phones.

sender: is that another term for unlocked phones?

sender: so I get an unlocked multi band phone and put my sim in it and it will work

sender: ok thank you.

sender: can I send this to myself by clicking email?