Search

Congo questions

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4th, 2011, 01:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Congo questions

Long shot I realize, but I'm getting no where on thorn tree board: has anyone been in DRC recently (or Republic of Congo)? Or, if you happen to know someone that has and wouldn't mind answering a few questions from me, I'd be eternally grateful if you could connect me with them!

I realize this board is more for safari-goers but I'm heading out at end of the week so making last ditch attempt to dig up more info
Old Sep 4th, 2011, 04:03 PM

Sorry can't help with the info you request, but please post upon your return!
Old Sep 4th, 2011, 04:45 PM
Original Poster

Hi Femi,

will do! I am certain I will at least make it to the bonobo sanctuary outside Kinshasa...have been trying really hard to line up permit to go to gorilla reserve in Congo-Brazzville, however, they make it virtually impossible for independent travelers to get there.

I can't wait to be back in Africa, but boy does this remind me how maddening it is to travel there independently!

Linda
Old Sep 5th, 2011, 12:33 AM

Linda, it is a very long shot, but if you were from Belgium or Thailand (or possibly even the Netherlands) I might be able to help....
Old Sep 5th, 2011, 06:18 AM
Original Poster

Hi Kimburu,

hmmmmm what if I have visited two of the three you mention?
I'm trying to find out if the road between Kinshasa and Matadi is safe for a foreigner to be traveling (who is not holed up in a big UN jeep), and whether shared taxis drive that route.
Old Sep 5th, 2011, 10:56 PM

Could try!!

My mother-in-law knows the wife of one of the senior Belgian Embassy staff there very well. I am pretty sure they will have a very conservative view of what is "safe", but I will ask. For sure if they say it is okay, it is.

Not sure about the timeframe for a response as they could be on holiday or upcountry. When do you need to know by? And while I am at it you can throw in another couple of questions if you have them. Of course if you get a traveling source in the meantime, it'll probably be better.
Old Sep 6th, 2011, 11:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi maxwell,

Met some young women in Rwanda last year, one was living in DRC (some sort of NGO worker). The other was a friend visiting. The NGO worker called DRC a "hidden gem," said there's beautiful hiking, etc. So I'll be interested to read about your experiences.

Do take care--but enjoy your trip!
Old Sep 6th, 2011, 05:52 PM
Original Poster

Kimburu -

Well this will teach me to underestimate the power/helpfulness of Fodors - I leave in about 24 hours, so I fear that you will go to the trouble of asking and I will have already made decision whether to travel the particular road I'm concerned about. (Of course, if you happen to be talking to your mother in law at the moment she gets a call from her contact, the exact question is "is the road between Kinshasa and Matadi safe for foreigners to travel by shared taxi or bus, or is there real risk of getting stoped along the way and, well, very bad things happening?" (I am reading that you must have a death wish to travel certain roads...and I do not have any such wish!)

If the above scenairo doesn't magically happen in next 48 hours, no worries, but thank you so very much for the offer to help, and I wish I had posted sooner!

Leely - Will do, and it is nice to hear that!!
Old Sep 6th, 2011, 09:10 PM

I'll send off an email and see.
Old Sep 7th, 2011, 09:48 AM
Original Poster

THANKS!!
Old Sep 10th, 2011, 08:25 PM

Sorry, no reply yet. I'll post it as soon as I get one for others.
Old Sep 10th, 2011, 10:55 PM
Original Poster

Well thanks for trying Kimburu - very much appreciated. will be curious what they say. I'm in Brazzaville today & am crossing over into Kinshasa this morning, however, they've apparently had some unrest in Kinshasa due to the elections in a few months, making it hard for foreigners to get in even if you already have your visa/letter of invitation. (some swiss guys here were just refused visas the other day).
so, I am mentally preparing for them to send me back to Brazzaville event though I already have the visa, etc.
Old Sep 16th, 2011, 11:32 PM
Original Poster

In case any future Matadi bus riders stumble across this thread - the bus ride is totally safe in terms of being free from frightening checkpoints, however it is an early morning to early evening affair (allow 10 hours, not counting time waiting for bus to leave).
Old Sep 17th, 2011, 11:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So you made it! Great news.