Confused about Tanzania Exit Tax

Jul 28th, 2005, 11:54 AM
Original Poster

Confused about Tanzania Exit Tax

We leave on Wednesday (8/3/05) on our trip to Tanzania!! I am totally confused about the exit tax from JRO. I have read a few different sources and the amount of the tax quoted ranges from $8.00 to $30.00 per person. Apparently this is new as of July 1, 2005? Can anybody set me straight on the actual amount? How much is it and where do we pay it?
Jul 28th, 2005, 12:12 PM

Several posters on the LP board indicated that there was a $8 security(?) fee implemented July 1. The international departure tax is $30 but that one should be included in the price of your ticket. If I look at the long list of taxes on my ticket, one of them is 'TZ30.00'.
Jul 28th, 2005, 12:24 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Patty--I also see $30.00TZ on my tickets so I guess I should just plan on an additional $8.00 per person upon departure? Where will we pay it?
Jul 28th, 2005, 01:32 PM

When you go to JRO to leave, you will pay when checking in. The airport is actually small.... when waiting for your flight there are a few souvenier shops (not too pricey) and a bar if I remember correctly. Be careful how you pack when returning, etc... I got stuck paying $150 when I wasn't supposed to...had an arguement, but was so tired, I paid it and figured it was included in my "extra money" category. Also, Please make sure you have a lot of cash on you (dollars or T schillings)... once you go on safari, there is virtually no place to exchange.... unless you're desparate... the lodges do not give favorable rates.

I'm going again in December, so I guess I can say thanks for the "$8 warning".. I'll make sure I'll have it in my wallet. Last time I had exactly $8 when I arrived home.....(the airport takes cc)
Jul 28th, 2005, 01:54 PM

mrsilly - could you explain what you mean by be careful when you pack and what you mean by getting stuck paying $150 when you weren't supposed to. Thanks!
Jul 28th, 2005, 02:05 PM
sandi

In Tanzania you don't even have to change USD* to TShillings. USD are preferred and accepted everywhere. Besides, if you have TSh remaining when you're ready to leave, you can't convert back to USD.

*I can't say about Euro or Sterling - input from others would be appreciated.

Aug 1st, 2005, 08:31 PM

..sure wanderlust... the ticket counter agent said I was overweight, when in fact I wasn't. I was allowed 70kg per bag and he claimed I had a total of 35kg for both bags. I argued quite a bit and didn't get anywhere with him. I paid the bill and went on my way. I should have complained to my cc company and KLM but I was so exhausted from my trip that by the time I remembered to complain, it was a bit too late. I think that the ticket agents are a bit sneaky.....

I had a similar incident in Bangkok.. again, I was not overweight and did not have excessive luggage. I ended up getting away with not paying because I think they're not used to Americans causing a scene. I held up a line for 30 minutes! Other travelers were getting pissed, but I wasn't paying for something that I shouldn't be getting charged for! ... well, it didn't quite work in Kilimanjaro.. #$#$ happens!

I wouldn't worry too much though.. People there are generally honest.

as sandi said... you can't change your t shillings...maybe buy some souveniers and try to sell the items on ebay to get some of the money back.. just a suggestion.. or get completely drunk while waiting for your plane!

Search this Thread