Search

Using a 3G iphone in Kenya

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20th, 2009, 02:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Using a 3G iphone in Kenya

Since my last trip to Kenya I have changed over to an iphone 3G and just wondered if anyone has used them on international roaming in Kenya and if they had any problems. My old digital mobile phone worked perfectly, so I'm hoping this will too.

Has anyone used them to access the internet on the 3G network over there?
Old Oct 20th, 2009, 03:40 AM

Received 17 Likes on 1 Post
My iphone worked in several places in Tanz and Kenya. However, the data roaming charges are extreme. If you google you will find how much it costs. Here's one $11,000. example http://www.walletpop.com/blog/2009/0...arges-on-trip/. There are more examples on the web.

I kept my phone on airplane mode and only took it out of airplane mode to send and receive text messages. Text messages are how I keep in touch with home because they aren't expensive.

Here are AT&T's tips on international roaming and their plans http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/po...phone-tips.jsp

I did get a text messg from ATT when I acquired service in new locations telling me the rate for using 3g but I don't remember how much it was.
Old Oct 20th, 2009, 05:05 AM

Twaffle,

I think even if you have access to the 3G network, it might be very expensive to use on international roaming. Definitely verify wiht your local network provider first.
Old Oct 20th, 2009, 06:10 AM

Received 17 Likes on 1 Post
I just looked on my phone and the messg is still on it. The messg was:

International data rate of $19.97/MB applies. Unlimited domestic data rate plan does NOT apply in this location. Details: att.com/global
Old Oct 20th, 2009, 07:49 AM

Check with your local carrier as to what your rates will be in Kenya. As Sundowner says, text messages are much cheaper than phone calls. Data rates (if you can get that to work on your phone) are even more expensive. I sent an SMS message with a photo to the US from Tanzania... it arrived on my sister's phone 6 days later! I was already home by then.

BTW, congrats on your upcoming trip to Kenya!
Old Oct 20th, 2009, 10:55 AM

Safaricom in Kenya has 3G but not widespread so most of the time you'll be on 2G unless you're just staying in Nairobi. I have an intl unlimited data plan on my Blackberry but that option isn't offered in the US for iPhones. I don't know if it's the same with Australian providers.
Old Oct 20th, 2009, 05:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone, I wanted to be armed with some 'in country' information before I approached my provider because they always just look in their manuals and go "I think this or that".
I really only plan to use texts to stay in touch with the children but wondered about the data rates. Best to avoid by the sounds of things. I suppose if I'm in a wireless cafe I can log into their system but this will be unlikely.

Shaytay, thanks, Yes I found a cheap airfare and decided to go. Only spending 1 week but will stay all the time in the Mara. Then fly home. Better than nothing.

Patty, I'll look and see if I can get intl unlimited data for my iphone here.
Old Oct 21st, 2009, 10:01 AM

As others said, turn data off if you do not want to get a shocker bill. Your phone should work without any problems. Though not Kenya, I have used several smart phones and regular phones in Nigeria without issues. Brother used his Iphone there mostly for data a couple of months ago and it worked well. Even on MTN Nigeria's 3G network. The Iphone also has the 3G bands used in Europe/Africa/Asia