Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Mobal International Phone: they say it works in Kenya but does it?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10th, 2008, 12:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need to buy a cell that works in France and Kenya for the upcoming trip. I have Verizon so using my regular cell isn't an option. Many on the Europe board use Mobal International Cell Phone successfully on trips through Europe, regardless of country. On Mobal's website they SAY it works in Kenya...but does it?

Does anyone have experience using this cell phone in Kenya?
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 12:53 PM

Not yet. Planning to take mine next week.
Jess
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 01:00 PM

The Mobal phone will work in Kenya but does it come unlocked? Their rates to call from Kenya are quite high if you use the SIM that comes with it. If it's unlocked, you can buy a Safaricom or Celtel SIM and airtime on arrival (both have storefronts/booths at NBO) which will give you much cheaper call rates (you'll have a Kenyan number instead of Mobal's UK number). If it doesn't come unlocked, you may be able to get it unlocked, but I can't really tell what model phone they offer. You might want to see what others experiences are in this regard on the Europe forum.

Or you can look for an unlocked GSM phone on ebay. You'll need one that has 900/1800 MHz frequencies.
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 01:20 PM

I have a Mobal world phone and I don't really use it enough to worry about cost. I am in France twice a year for a couple of weeks each trip, and have a local mobile # and a French SIM card -- by far the cheapest way to go. It also worked in Brussels for some reason!
I also have a BlackBerry and an international roaming plan, but it's staying home this trip, along with all my jewelry, etc. and everything else I don't want to spend any thought "protecting" from mishap: loss, damage, theft, whatever.....
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 02:19 PM

Yes. The phone should work in Kenya. As already posted, if you plan on making a lot of calls, a local prepaid sim will be a whole lot cheaper and better option. But, for just a couple of quick calls or so, the mobal phone should be ok.
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 03:45 PM

I'm bringing my Blackberry so I can have email and internet access. Look for my "on the ground" updates!
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 04:02 PM

Patty, when are you leaving? Next week? Remember to keep an eye out for appealing budget camps for your pals in the Cheap Trips Gang. I know you are not a member but you're friendly .
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 07:20 PM

Leely,
I don't leave until the 26th. I already have a budget camp or two on my "to stop by" list. Actually some of the ones where I'm staying could definitely be considered budget by Fodorite standards. Wait, I'm not a member? I want in!
Old Jan 11th, 2008, 05:44 AM
Original Poster

Mostly I need a phone where I have a number ahead of time to text my daughter and make sure we meet up. There was a trip to Ireland where she arrived days ahead and was to meet us on the west coast. When her train arrived, she wasn't on it!

I want the comfort of knowing that she can text me if something goes wrong. Not that anything could go wrong, meeting up in Nairobi on Feb 4th So that's why I wanted a number that I'd have before arrival.

Patty - thanks in advance for taking your BB and sending information out! I'll be in Paris for a week before I get to Kenya and I'll be checking fodors and email for updates.

Patty and Leely: what are the budget camps? That's the list I want.
Old Jan 11th, 2008, 12:13 PM

rosetravels,
In that case, you should be good to go with the Mobal phone and SIM.

For some budget by Fodorite standards camps, try www.tsavocampsandlodges.com

I believe Rhino Valley Lodge (formerly Ngulia Safari Camp/Ngulia Bandas) in Tsavo West has been refurbished and looks quite nice from the photos I've seen. The area around it is very scenic and it's not far from the rhino sanctuary. I plan to stop by and have a look during my trip.

I'll be staying at Lion Rock which is in Lumo Wildlife Sanctuary which is a community project to the east of Tsavo West. There has been one report on this camp on the Kenya forum and Tripadvisor and I'm looking forward to my stay.

Both Rhino Valley and Lion Rock were very reasonable when I priced them (around $200pppn or less as part of a driving safari).

I don't know much about the other 2 camps on that site. Ndololo in Tsavo East looks interesting.

Also in Tsavo East is Tarhi www.safari-wangu.de/tarhicampe.html Nyamera has stayed there.

Another one in Tsavo East that's reasonable www.sataocamp.com and to the south of Tsavo East on a private ranch www.sataorockcamp.com

Most of my current trip is taking place in the Tsavo area so that's where I've done the most research lately.

Since you have an extra week now, you could consider spending some time here either on the way to or from the coast. That's if you're looking for more safari time.