Search

Clothes for Kenya Safari

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19th, 2009, 12:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clothes for Kenya Safari

Advice please on what clothing to take for our holiday to Kenya. We are having about ten days at three different game lodges, a week on the coast and three days in Nairobi. As someone who usually has loads of luggage how do I cope with only 15Kg and what do I take and what do I leave behind? We are going in July and although the day time temperatures are fine will we need fleeces for early morning or late evening?
Old Mar 19th, 2009, 01:01 PM

You will be definatly needing a fleece and a kind of windbreaker especially for early morning game drives.
There are several options for leaving a bag behind in Nairobi etc.
Just provide some info on your routing and which carrier you are flying to/from reserves/parks.
In view to your destinations you of course will take into consideration a city stay, beach AND safari which asks for 3 different outfits or at least 2 if you can cope with safari clothing for Nairobi as well which won't cause a problem at all. AND you can get your clothes washed in any camp either FOC or for a small fee.
If you do it low key you will be fine with the allowance. If you are intending to take a lot of change incl. numerous pairs shoes for the city/beach - you might end up re-packing at least for a week ;-)

SV
Old Mar 19th, 2009, 01:05 PM

There are many many threads on Fodor's re "safari packing" which a search will bring up for you.

From years on safari, all you need is enough clothing for the place you stay the longest. Example: if 4/days in the Mara, then "maybe" 4/changes; then rewear these in any order at the next stop/s. Everyone is in the same boat... limited luggage, so it's not a fashion show. For your hair - a hat, bands, scrunchies, barrettes.

There have been tales of those whose luggage didn't make it for 2 to 7/days, even their entire in-countryy stay and the clothing they were wearing, being laundered by the lodges/camps... worked just fine.

Pack neutral colors pants/tops that are interchangeable; maybe a pair of black for evening with a nice scarf or piece of chunky jewelry. For beach, a bikini/swimsuit or two take up no room and weigh nothing, add a pareo and you're set.

A pair of shoes (sneakers or mocs), flip-flops as beach/shower/inside slippers; ballet slipper/sandle for evening... and underclothing. Except for women's "smalls" (panties) can be laundered for low cost if not included in your price.

A jacket or fleece (though nights/morning can get pretty darn cold in July, especially if in open safari vehicles).

As I've said before, if I, "la princess" can manage for 3/weeks and still come in less than 30/lbs, anyone can.
Old Mar 19th, 2009, 01:08 PM

Oh, and as for Nairobi... this is a very casual city. Safari clothing or something "nice casual" will work.

You certainly don't have to purchase "safari" clothing, nor look as if you stepped off the pages of Vogue. Those folks, in fact, often look ridiculous.
Old Mar 19th, 2009, 03:28 PM

Yes to fleece.

Lynda’s packing list—the most extensive

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...4&tid=34802443

-------------------
Other packing info
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...4&tid=34639696

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...4&tid=35165024

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...4&tid=34782437

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...4&tid=34606894

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...4&tid=34934728

Even what people wished they had brought but didn't
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...4&tid=34929931
Old Mar 19th, 2009, 04:13 PM

Ya, Zip-Offs and Cool Max underware
Old Mar 19th, 2009, 04:30 PM

just bookmarking, as I have asked a similar question, but I appreciate Lynn's links

amy
Old Mar 19th, 2009, 04:52 PM

As I don't know your itinerary, don't know if this will work for you ... We stayed our first and last nights in a hotel in Nairobi and as I was going to SA for a holiday after safari I left my hard case with holiday clothes at the hotel storage room and just took a soft bag with what I needed for safari.

The whole lot went into the hard case for, more secure for long flights but a bag is more suitable if you have internal flights and road transfers and if you pack well you don't need that much.

As has been said, laundry is good, wash and fold is fine, so you can get by on 2 of each, vest, Ts, shirts, trousers, jumpers or fleeces and a windproof jacket.

Quite often we would dress for the day, shower again after drives and change clothes for evening, put "day" clothes in for laundry and wear "evening" clothes the next day.

My essentials were a long sleeved shirt and a big silk square. The shirt keeps the wind and sun off you and you can use the square as a shawl, scarf, hat, mask, fly swat! etc
Oh and ziplock bags! a must to keep the dust out of your undies!
Old Mar 20th, 2009, 02:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the information. I think I now have some ideas and just need to source a few items in rather more neutral colours than I usually wear and a hat and some socks for the evenings.
The packing list is great so many thanks to you all.
Old Mar 20th, 2009, 09:20 PM

You won't need a flyswat in July in Kenya.
Old Mar 21st, 2009, 04:52 AM

The Gap stores always have neutral colors - tan, brown, khaki - often on sale or reasonable regular prices. Available year-round.
Old Mar 21st, 2009, 05:57 AM

Most useful thing we brought was a cheap plastic blow up swimming tube which we sat on in the van. The roads are really rough! Joan
Old Mar 21st, 2009, 07:42 AM

If you never wear neutral colors consider buying from a resale shop and leaving some of the clothing behind.

Joanw, how many of those tubes did you have in your van? I can see how a van-full of those with everybody bouncing around on them could be a riot. It would make those long, jolting rides a little more fun and your guide would have some great tales to swap with his buddies.
Old Mar 21st, 2009, 07:49 AM

I checked out the article, planyoursafari.

"Don't go on safari to Africa if--You hate not showering"
Even when I've stayed in basic collapsable tents, I always had a very warm bucket shower with more than enough water.

"Don't go on safari to Africa if--You hate bugs"
I have far more bugs at home. Bugs and bug bites have not been a problem for me, at least not in the dry season when I've gone.

"Don't go on safari to Africa if--You can not stand cooking oil" I've never noticed too much cooking oil or any other problem with any food anywhere I've stayed.
Old Mar 21st, 2009, 11:44 AM

Like you Lynn, wonder whether with some comments as in planyourafaris where I've been over these past 14/years. I often ask who writes these articles.

Not only showers, but even sometimes a bath with a view!

Even traveling in the wet season, except for geekos, which are good critters, rarely see bugs.

And, as far as the food is concerned, haven't come upon an excess of oil. With few exceptions, I'm sure, food is plentiful, fresh and very good. Complaints I hear is usually there is too much and "I should have gone on a diet beforehand."

As to the dust, even that hasn't been an issue any more than a day out in the country from the big city. Actually a day on the beach bothers more than dust in Africa... always seem to be cleaning out sands for months after I've been sunnin' and beachin'
Old Mar 21st, 2009, 12:28 PM

Joanw, I saw on another post there were just 2 of you. While a private safari for 2 is great, think how much fun a half dozen of you could have had bouncing around on the plastic inner tube as your vehicle bounced down the road.
Old Mar 21st, 2009, 06:47 PM

I just got back and really had I ONLY known! I dragged along all these "Safari duds!" and for what?

Maybe I was lucky,maybe it was the time of year....but I wore my Teva's every day on game drives, and never needed the air cushion I took for the rough roads. The roads in Kenya WERE awful, and I AM old...but for some reason we were fine and never even sore of spine. (The roads did seem a bit better in Tanzi)

I needed a light layer of insect stuff in the early mornings and at dinner cause some sort of something did nibble on my nekid tootsies...but that was the end of the bug thing. I wore my pants rolled up to capri length , animals did not care what color as I was inside the vehicle at all times.

I did shower every day and it felt great but it got hot in the truck/van/jeep....and I shower every day anyway.

There was a lot of sand on the beach at Zanzibar....but there is in Santa Monica too!!!
Old Mar 22nd, 2009, 04:56 AM

I have that same problem with neked tootsies, sometimes getting bitten all the way up to my ankles. That's why I keep my feet covered with shoes and socks on most of the outings. But I like to give my feet a chance to breathe midday in my camp/lodge so I bring some flip flops that also work well in the shower.
Old May 16th, 2009, 06:13 AM

*bookmarking* for the great links above.
Old Jan 22nd, 2010, 07:28 AM

Also bookmarking for great links