Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Would this SA/Botswana itinerary be foolish?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12th, 2004, 11:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Singita-Sweni or Lebombo (2 ni)
Singita-Ebony (2 ni)
Jao (2 ni)
Mombo (2 ni)
+ a night or two in Joburg as needed

My concern is that 2 nights at each place may be happening too fast for us to get the full experience. And yet, these are all places that we would really like to go.

Another concern is that the costs of transfers between four places will be a lot (I'm assuming they're all air transfers....)

Thoughts????

Thanks!
Old Jun 12th, 2004, 03:15 PM
sandi

Ericka - As to whether 2-nts are sufficient, too short - well, for some places yes, others no. When we visited SA/Botswana we did 2-nts each when it came to camps, but had to admit that for our stay at Singita, we should have done 3-dys.

That said, since your time in Kruger are 4-days at all Singita properties, I might just choose one of these and do 3-nts, which would leave you a 3rd night at one of the Botswana camps. I'd go for one of the new Singita properties - Sweni or Lebombo. From what I've read these will probably outdo Ebony (not to say anything negative about Ebony). Sorry, but can't comment on which of the two Botswana camps to stay 3-days. Decisions, decisions!

As to the transfers - You can take a scheduled flight to Hoedspruit for the land transfer to Ebony, but between Ebony to either of the other Singita camps will probably have to be Charters ($$$). But if only Sweni or Lebombo it's charters all the way.

When it comes to Botswana, you'll need the scheduled flight from JNB/Maun/JNB - but the price of the air transfers to Mombo and/or Jao will be included in the price of your stay. These are only air transfers.

It's apparent that you are fixed with the number of days you can spend in-country in SA/Bots. Sometimes we just can't get to do everything we want to, whether because of time or money.

So unless you can add a day or two to your time in-country, it gets back to making a decision. And this has to be yours.

Old Jun 13th, 2004, 06:16 AM
Original Poster

Hi Sandi.
Thanks for the reply. You're always full of good advice! I have to admit in posting my 2-night-stay-everywhere-itinerary that it seemed rediculous.

Perhaps we could settle ourselves on one Singita lodge for 3-nights, then because the air transfers are included in the Mombo/Jao properties, we could spend two nights at each of those.

It would look something like this:
- Singita (3 ni)
- Jao (2 ni)
- Mombo (2 ni)
+ a night or two in Joburg as needed
Old Jun 13th, 2004, 01:26 PM
sandi

Ericka - Your first post indicated 8-nights so you still have an additional night/day to spend at either Jao or Mombo. As to JNB, you almost have no choice but have to spend a night or two, because of flight schedules. So the itinerary with 3-nts at one of the Singita camps is certainly wiser than trying to get everything in with 2-nts. each. You'll get it worked out as soon as you have your intl air confirmed and know if space is available when you plan to travel. Keep us posted.

Old Jun 14th, 2004, 12:53 AM

Agree with Sandi... and I'd consider adding a night at Jao.