Cape Town - You're very welcome

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20th, 2007, 02:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just back from my very first visit to South Africa last week, and while I won't bore people with my stories, I'd just like to confirm out loud what many others have posted on here...that Cape Town is a beautiful city in a wonderful country populated by friendly people.

As with many who have visited, my first journey won't be my last (and I'll obviously be back to see Scotland win the World Cup in 2010).

Apart from the lovely weather, clear blue skies, fantastic scenery, terrific hospitality, marvellous beaches, inspiring recent history, great food and those cute penguins everywhere...the thing that will always remind us of South Africa is the pharse 'you're very welcome' whenever you thank somebody in a shop, restaurant etc.

It's a small courtesy that makes a binding impression and something that we in Europe could do with learning...and these are the small things that add up to an urge to return.

So Cape Town, I thank you for that, and we'll see you soon.

P.S. An example of the power of Fodors. We were at the top of Table Mountain last Monday, and the first person I see after coming out of the cable car is Selwyn Davidowitz. Now, I've never seen Selwyn in my life before apart from following the links on here for a glance at his website.

However, I knew it was him.

When I pointed him out to Mrs Mac, she was disappointed it wasn't Tom Cruise or some other Hollywood midget...but I was quiet pleased.
I almost asked for an autograpgh...
Old Feb 20th, 2007, 03:05 AM

Hi Mac
What a wonderful post and we all down here Thank You for it. I returned from Cape Town yesterday and it certainly is a great place.
Where did you stay?
Mark
Old Feb 20th, 2007, 03:27 AM
Original Poster

Hi Mark.

We stayed 3 nights at the '2inn1' guesthouse in the Gardens area of the city.
Now this is a brand new guesthouse which opened only in October I believe.

It's run by 2 German guys who had never set foot in Africa, never mind Cape Town, until 12 months ago, and like us also fell in love with the city.
It's a superb b&b in a lovely area, and if anybody is reading this post and looking for accomodation we can't recommend it highly enough.

We then moved on for one night in Stellenbosch, and then one night in Franschhoek, before finishing off with a night in the Bay Hotel in Camps Bay.

Lovely. All of it, from start to finish....but the topping in the cake was always the amazing hospitality and friendliness.
As I said I've no wish to bore, but I have to tell you of one specific incident..

We were travelling into Stellenbosch and got rather lost looking for our b&b in the one way system of streets in the town centre (it's a bit a of busy place, Stellenbosch).
After the usual exchange of pleasantries between Mrs Mac and myself concerning maps and navigation, we decided to stop outside the Stellenbosch Hotel to ask the way.
The receptionist...and I still can't believe this....not only showed us on the map, he walked to a corner around 500 metres away to make sure we got round the 1-way system OK, directed us to a parking space, made sure the owner of the b&b was at home, shook our hands, wished us a great stay in South Africa...and left.

He didn't have to do that, but it was a genuine warmth and willingness to help that leaves an impression on a visitor.

I'm not stupid enough not to realise that there are serious social issues still to be dealt with in the country, or that there are major discrepancies in wealth and living standards .... but as first time visitor I was taken aback by the genuine warmth of all the people we met..black, white or coloured...and it's something that others could learn from.

Old Feb 20th, 2007, 05:16 AM

It is rave reviews like that that make me proud to be a South African
Thxs Mac!!
Come back soon now OK?
Old Feb 20th, 2007, 05:53 AM

Now I thought that most South Africans would have said: "it's a pleasure", rather than the very said over-used Americanism of "You're welcome."

But that said, it sounds like you were genuinely well looked after and you are welcome, return again and again and again.
Old Feb 20th, 2007, 05:56 AM
Original Poster

mkhonzo- You're absolutely correct.

We did hear 'you're welcome', but of course most South Africans do say 'it's a pleasure'.

I do apologise, I've no idea why that stuck in my head ! Doh.

Old Feb 20th, 2007, 06:22 AM

Hi Mac
I don't know the B&B you are referring to but I did notice a lot of German owned B&Bs down in Cape Town. I had breakfast at the Bay Hotel yesterday morning and it was such a glorious day to say the least. Cape Town is a special place but there is more to South Africa than that which you can see in my other post. I have taken it upon myself to promote other coastlines in my country which also have a beauty unto themselves.
BTW, if anyone wants a real good tour guide then contact Tony Shumann at [email protected]
I had the most impressive tour with Tony that totally blew me away. If you want more info just email Tony, I promise he is the BEST.
Mark
Old Feb 20th, 2007, 06:25 AM
santharamhari

Hi Mark,

You do the shark cage dive?

Hari

Old Feb 20th, 2007, 06:30 AM

Hi Guys
In the last 3 months I have done quite a bit of travelling in Southern Africa and I have noticed the phrase "Your'e Welcome" is used a lot. I have experienced it in Zambia, Botswana, Namibia and of course in South Africa, Cape Town. I think it is great that finally the African folk have realised how important tourism can be to them and hence to advancement of conservation and I would like to say on their behalf a BIG THANK YOU.
Mark
Old Feb 20th, 2007, 09:09 AM

I can't believe you were lucky enough to get a Selwyn sighting. I hope I get to see him when I go!
Old Feb 20th, 2007, 09:47 AM

HI Mac,
We are headed on a similar trip in March of 08. We picked Stellenbosch for 2 nights. We plan to have a rental car so we can drive to Franschhoek for a look-see. Where did you stay in Stellenbosch? We are looking at the Zorgvliet Wine Estate -- did you happen to see it?
I loved your posting -- makes me wish the trip was this March!
Old Feb 20th, 2007, 10:08 AM
Original Poster

Hi Lexia - We stayed at a b&b called the 'Wild Mushroom guesthouse' in Stellenbosch.
Don't laugh...it's true !

And very nice it was. Right in the centre of town, and with a lovely breakfast.

I've had a look at the Zorgvliet website, and while I can't say I remember it, it's certainly in a very beautiful location, right up on the Helshoogte pass.

We loved Stellenbosch, and adored Franschhoek...but for some that's the other way around and that's great as well. Franschhoek is a much quieter town than S'bosch...little more than one long street, but with some beautiful restaurants and shops. S'bosch is a bustling university town with a life outside tourism...however, as with any university town the students give it a great buzz and both parts, the old and the new, blend together to make it someplace well worth spending time.

It's an extremely blessed part of the world, and you'll love it. Have a great time !