Cape Town activities....

Apr 8th, 2003, 07:52 PM
Original Poster

Cape Town activities....

I have three full days in Cape Town. Last year during my stay in Cape Town here is what I did:

1. All Day Cape Peninsula tour, including Cape Point, Hout Bay, False Bay.
2. A couple days just hanging out at the V & A Waterfront.
3. Table Mountain Cable Car To The Top
4. A couple days seeing real estate in various parts of Cape Town, including the Waterfront (talk about high pressure..."get a 2nd mortgage on your current homes," "borrow the money from your parents," "rob a bank.") OK, maybe the real estate agent did not suggest I rob a bank, but he was probably thinking it. Dealt with a couple very nice agents that showed me properties in Hout Bay, Upper Kenilworth and Upper Claremont. Even made an offer on a vacant lot in Berg En Dal gated community in Hout Bay but the owner took a month to accept and in that time the Rand went from 12 to 1 USD to 10.5 to 1 USD so I didn't go through with it.
5. Saw the Botanical Gardens.
6. Hung out for a couple days in City Bowl while at Mount Nelson Hotel and just tried my best to be a Capetonian, going to Woolies (Woolworths market), going to a Spinning Studio (aerobics studio featuring stationary cycling classes), got my morning espresso and pastry, etc.
7. Went to Greenmarket Square and Century City Mall.

Things I DID NOT do that I probably should have done:

1. Robben Island
2. Cape Town Aquarium
3. Cape Winelands
4. Eat in best possible restaurants

I would like to do these things this time around. Besides my three full days in Cape Town, I will have a night in Cape Winelands, although I don't know where yet. I am leaning towards Lanzerac Manor, Le Quartier Francaise or La Carousse. I contacted Klein Oliphantshoek at Selwyn's suggestion but unfortunately they are closed from June 01st - June 20th for worker holidays.

What else should I be considering during this Cape Town stay that I have not done before or do not have planned yet??? Best restaurants in Cape Town??? Last year the closest place I went to a nice restaurant was the restaurant at the Table Bay Hotel, Panama Jack's near the Waterfront and Blues in Camps Bay a couple times. Blues was a little annoying because a lot more people seemed to be smoking cigarettes there than the other places. Any and all dining suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Apr 8th, 2003, 09:58 PM
DE

Would also appreciate any suggestions for dining etc. as we will be spending 5 days in CPT the 3rd week in July. ROCCO, glad to hear that there is a good restaurant at the Table Bay as that is our hotel for our stay.

Apr 9th, 2003, 12:32 AM

Hi

When I went to Cape Town (well, I have actually been there several times) I enjoyed taking the walk up to Lion's head. It is a great walk because the path takes you around the peak so you get a 360 degree view.

Have you been to the Cape Point by the way? It was weird going out there because in the city the weather was nice and warm but at the Cape Point it was cold and windy. Quite a difference.

We also went to the planetarium located at the museum in the Company Gardens. It was a very enjoyabel "show"

If you want to have some fun you can always check out Ratanga Junction The amusement park is located right outside the city.

Well, hope you 'll have a great time in Cape Town. If you want more info you can check out pictures and travelogues that I have posted on my homepage www.gardkarlsen.com

Regards
Gard
Apr 9th, 2003, 01:39 AM

I'm curious about the smoking at Blues comment. All restaurants in South Africa by law must have a separate smoking section which has its own ventilation system. Some restaurants use outside sections or balconies for this purpose. I was at Blues about 2 months ago and they have a separate room for smoking tables. Perhaps the open plan kitchen made it seem smokey?
Have heard rave reports on Savoy Cabbage - but not so lucky as to be able to get there myself as yet.
Apr 9th, 2003, 03:58 AM
Original Poster

Traci,

If I am not mistaken, there is no partition between the smoking area and the non-smoking area.

Plus, now I remember better, one night at Blues I ate al fresco (outside) but the other night they were really busy and I had to eat in the smoking section. Imagine that, a non-smoker complaining about smoking while eating in the smoking section!

Not to offend anyone, but I just have a hard time understanding why anybody would smoke. These people in Blues were even smoking as they were eating their dinners! Take a bite...take a puff...take a bite...take a puff, etc.

Anyway, keep those Cape Town restaurant suggestions coming. I imagine, since my wife is a big seafood fan, that we will eat out one night at Panama Jack's again, but that leaves a couple more nights.

Thanks.
Apr 9th, 2003, 04:47 AM

An experience I considered important was a Township Tour which also included the District 6 museum and Cape Malay and District 6 areas. Only about 10 percent of the visitors to South Africa do this and I believe it is a "must" for many reasons. It is a major part of the history of South Africa. A portion of the trip cost is given to the areas visited.
Apr 9th, 2003, 05:58 AM

Baia in the Waterfront is excellent. Fancy and upscale and everything is beautifully presented. Our own personal favorite is Willoughby's also in the Mall. Not much atmosphere but they have the best calamari in the world. And the best fries.Their prawns and seafood platters are also excellent. We always eat there at least twice. Prices are pretty good.

Search this Thread