Cape Town

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2012, 05:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cape Town

Going to Cape Town in July. Need suggestions for Hotel. Want to be in a good location for my first trip. Want a nice place. More concerned with location then price. Also suggestions for single gal traveling alone would be appreciated thank you.
Old May 6th, 2012, 07:15 AM

Wife and I stayed at the Mount Nelson Hotel back in 2006. Located in town but seemed very isolated from the city, it was walled and was built by the Brits I believe. Fancy old place we seemed out of place there still had the afternoon tea, magnificent buildings, service, the breakfast to this day, rivals none I have been too, they had everything! The view of the Table Mountains in the distance was awesome. I think we got it for $100 USD a day back then which included breakfast! Wife and I really enjoyed it and I was told that U2 when they come to Cape Town stays here (don't know if that helps).
Old May 7th, 2012, 11:15 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
we loved the Radisson - but it too is a bit out of town, so you would need to take cabs back and forth.
Old May 7th, 2012, 12:13 PM

The Cape Grace if in your budget. Elegant. A quick walk to the wharf. They have "free" car service, which would be nice as a single.

The One and Only recently opened, the Victoria and Alfred is right in the wharf and Table Bay is nearby. I've only stayed at the Cape Grace, and it was very nice, if a bit "stuffy". I don't know anything about the hotels on the beach, which might be a nice option for you.
Old May 8th, 2012, 02:48 AM

Camps Bay is a very nice location, about 20 mins from the city centre, lots of vibes & young people, great beach but can be pricy, Seapoint is not a bad location, closer to the city, try to find somewhere on Beach Road.

For tours, Hylton Ross is a very good firm. Do not use the train unless you have company & make sure you buy a 1st class ticket. Do not take any jewellery that is of sentimental value to you.
Old May 8th, 2012, 07:56 AM

I stayed for four nights at the Cape Grace last August and loved it. Not cheap but very nice. (They even gave me a little gift for my birthday!) It is a quick walk to the Robben Island ferry and all the kitsch/restaurants on the V&A Waterfront. Very pretty rooms and mine had a view of the boats at anchor. Also a nice restaurant there. I also took Hylton Ross for several days of sightseeing (Cape Point, city tour, noon gun, winelands,e tc) and found them to be well-informed and efficient.
Old May 9th, 2012, 05:58 PM
Original Poster

Has any one stayed at Radison blu or dock house? Can't justify over 700 a night for hotel when I will barely be in the room.
Old May 9th, 2012, 06:29 PM

Did you look into the Vic and Al - it's not that much and right on the waterfront. It's a great location for about half that.
Old May 10th, 2012, 04:21 AM

see above Espaniagirl - i already posted that we stayed there and loved it.

BUT it is a bit out of town - which explains why it is cheaper than some of the others, I suppose.

personally, if travelling alone I'd want to stay at the waterfront - shops, restaurants, trips, all within easy reach.
Old May 10th, 2012, 06:47 PM
Original Poster

Sorry annhig missed it. Having really hard time choosing. Want a nice place good location. Seems I either have to pay top rate or settle for not great place or not great location. Help
still thinking dock house might br answer.

Vic and al not really what I am looking for and reviews were not impressive at all
Old May 11th, 2012, 09:34 AM

Sorry annhig missed it.>>

no probs. do you want to post links for the places you are looking at so we can [try to] help?
Old May 11th, 2012, 02:40 PM
Original Poster

http://www.suninternational.com/dest...ages/home.aspx

I went with this hotel. Looks good cant do anymore research on hotels now need to focus on trip part.

2.5 days (3 nights) what does everyone suggest. Thank you for all your input.
Old May 12th, 2012, 01:10 AM

Espaniagirl - your link didn't work, but I think this one does:

http://www.suninternational.com/Dest...ages/Home.aspx

it looks fine - nice position on the waterfront, plus did you see that it has a complimentary shuttle bus around Cape Town?

in 2 1/2 days, i would prioritise Table Mountain [preferably when the cloud they call the table cloth isn't in evidence] and a trip to the Cape via the penguins at boulders Beach. if it's raining there are several museums plus the aquarium in Cape town itself.
Old May 19th, 2012, 12:07 PM

Hello Espaniagirl
I would recommend doing a Cape Peninsula trip (includes Chapman's Peak Drive, Cape Point Nature Reserve and Boulders Penguin Colony)and then for the other day definitely Table Mountain and the Cape winelands (Stellenbosch, Franschhoek and Paarl areas) and for the last half day - a fixed wing scenic flight around Cape Town.
these are my recommendations. You can use a tour operator who does scheduled tours but you wont have the flexibility to stay as long as you want at any of the places BUT you can use a small operator who will be able to give you a private and customised tour to your requirements. It will cost you more but at the end of the day, you need to enjoy your time while in Cape Town.
Hope this helps.